advantages of lead core and or copper rigs

Trying to compare apples to oranges is tricky.

If space is your problem,then you can always use the same rod and change the reels out.That way,although not perfect,you can have your cake and eat it too.

The good part of copper compared to leadcore is the amount of line that you can spool onto your reel.This allows you to go deeper and it will alow the salmon to make a longer run without getting spooled.

What I like about leadcore is the color code system and the way it runs from the side riggers.

No matter what you choose,you will always miss the one that you did not bring.

In theory;

Core gives you 5' down /color or 16.6' down/100' of core out

Copper gives you 22' down/100' of copper out.

In reality both of these estimates are just that 'estimates'. Personally I think that core is better suited to applications where you don't need to get below 50 feet down but need the stealth that a lot of line out and no delivery device (rigger weight or diver) gives you. Core just seems to stop sinking very much after you get 12 or so colors out, especially if you try to run flashers on it.

Copper is better suited for deep presentations, like trying to get down into the 60-110' range in a stealthy way(no rigger weight or diver in front of the bait).

Most anglers are using copper and core off boards out to the sides of their standard diver and rigger lines so that they don't get tangled. When you do this the core or copper should not be clipped in the release so each rod & reel combo is only good for one depth zone. There are ways to change how deep a certain fixed length core or copper rig will go down using 'snap weights' or 'torpedo diver weights' but I would have to say that the jury is still out on whether these techniques will produce consistent results. -Andy

• 4 weeks later...

On my boat both presentations have their time and purpose. Like Chowder just said, I use core when targeting fish in the upper 50 feet of the water column. Mostly in May and June. When the fish are deeper, then I run 400' 450' or 500' coppers.

When I put copper on a sideplaner I put rig the prower pro backing into the release. However, with lead core, I have on occassions put the core in the side planer release like when I want to only run 6 colors. You have to be careful when doing this so as to not damage the lead core, and using releases with rubber pinch pads helps this.