Downrigger Question

chance33

What would be a good downrigger to use with a depth raider? I fish Erie (Walut Creek to Ohio line) mostly so my depths would be primarily in the 50 - 70' range. I also fish alone a lot so I'm thinking that an electric would be helpful. I'm planning to use the Depth Raider primaily for speed control because I don't feel my Garmin GPS is what I need. Any advise greatly appreciated.

We have stopped using downriggers on Lake Erie for walleye. Our catch rates are successful using Dipsey Divers, braid line with snap on sinkers, leadcore rigs or inline planers. The game plan is not so much to get the lures to the depths, but get the lures away from the boat. When the water temperatures are under 65 degrees F. the walleyes are suspended in the water column. Warmer waters bring us to using dipseys out to 375 feet out at times. 60 foot of water is only 3 automobile lengths and with the clearer water, the boat spooks the fish away from underneath and behind the boat. You have to get away from the boat and its track. Save some money and get 6 rod holders. And you do not have a downrigger in the way to net your fish.

I would gather the fleet in Barcelona is still using downriggers (deeper water). I use a beat up 6lb downrigger ball with the release 3-4' above and bounce bottom with a long lead in the sand off the Catt. Nice to fight the fish not the weight with downriggers. The fight with a Walleye on a #1 dipsy is non-existent.

Take a look at the current your engine/electrical system can put out. I don't know what kind of rig you're fishing out of, but make sure you can support the additional load.

Past 70 ft & you'll need a 10 or 12 Lb weight.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 1 month later...
What would be a good downrigger to use with a depth raider? I fish Erie (Walut Creek to Ohio line) mostly so my depths would be primarily in the 50 - 70' range. I also fish alone a lot so I'm thinking that an electric would be helpful. I'm planning to use the Depth Raider primaily for speed control because I don't feel my Garmin GPS is what I need. Any advise greatly appreciated.

HEY CHANCE I ALSO FISH ERIE OH/ PA-LINE WEST

I GET TO FISH 2-3 DAYS A WEEK AND I TRY TO USE MY DOWN RIGGERS ANY TIME I HAVE MORE THEN 2 GUYS AND MYSELF MOST OF THE TIME I WILL RUN 4 DIPPSEYS AND TWO STEEL LINE OUT BACK BEFORE I WILL RUN MY DOWN RIGGERS OR UNLESS I SEE THAT THE FISH ARE DEEP THEN I USE MY RIGGERS.

I HAVE CANNON ELECTRIC MINI MAGS #12 LB BALLS

AND THEY WORK GREAT ALSO

I HAVE TWO CANNON EASI TROLL HAND CRANK #10 LB BALLS

I PERFER THE ELECTRIC WHILE YOU CRANK THE FISH IN HIT THE BUTTON AND THE BALL IS UP AND READY TO BE RIGGED AGAIN THEY WORK GREAT.

ALSO GET THE SWIVEL BASES ON WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH.

PM. ME IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS

Hey Chance, that's my primary water as well.

We have a pair of Cannon Unitroll 10's on our boat and don't notice any problems with them. I have a Sub-troll rigged up on one of them and use 12# weights.

The one thing I noticed last year, the few times I used the probe, we don't have the currents here that you run into on lake O. Never found more then 1 or 2 tenths difference.

I primarly fish the fingers and Lake O and my 2 cents are if you got the money definetly go with electric. When you get into fish electric will get you setup each time just that much faster. ;) I use the Cannon mag 10 for my depth raider. Its not the high speed one cause I like to see the temp change as it goes down to see how fast the temp breaks changes. Also, my deph raider is set up in the middle to tell the true speed of the boat at the ball. My 2 corner riggers are the High speed models cause I like to setup fast and keep my rods wet. Cannnons, Scotty's and Big Jon downriggers you can't go wrong with. I prefer Cannons but mainly cause thats what I grew up using. I love Big Jons rod holders but you can add them to the cannons if you prefer. Running dipsy is a must. I probably catch 80 to 90% of my fish on the dipsy rods. ;) Hope this helps.

I AGREE WITH BUCK ON THE DIPPSEYS PROBLEY GET ON A 4 PERSON TRIP I WILL END UP WITH PROBLEY

12-14 FISH ON DIPPSEYS

6-8 ON STEEL LINE

2-4 ON THE RIGGERS

DOWNRIGGERS ARE ANOTHER TOOL TO HAVE IN YOUR ARSENAL BUT IF I WAS FISHING BY MYSELF IT WOULD BE DIPPSEYS THEN WIRE BEFORE RIGGERS

ONLY FOR ME THEY OUT PERFORM THE RIGGERS

BUT IF YOU FISH WITH TWO OR 3 GUYS THEN DEFINETLY RIGGERS ADDED.

I ALSO GREW UP WITH CANNON RIGGERS HAND CRANKS AS OUR MAIN SETUP WITH

DIPPSEYS NEXT.

AND I WOULD CRANK MY A$$ OFF THROUGH OUT THE DAY

SO WHEN I WAS ABLE TO GET ELECTRIC I JUMPED ON IT

AND THEY WERE WORTH EVERY DIME.

I'm stealing this thread :rofl::P I been fishing all my life but just recently got into trolling. Probablay last summer around June was my first adventure trolling on my dads 16ft alum. slvan. We caught probally 7 LL's and one 7lb laker. I was hooked :inlove: I bought a 23ft sportscraft off this forum shortly after setup with the 3 riggers, 6 rodholders and the depth raider. I can't say I would have bought the depth raider on my own if it did not come with the boat. I can be stubborn to my own fault :no: I found that the depth raider to be one of my best tools on the boat but I can't even say that because everything on the boat works together to make a successful trip. The Depth raider lets me know what my speed and temp are. How stable or unstable the water is. My lowrance HDS 7 with the Navaconics platium chip is absolutely priceless. I can see underwater points or structors that I had no idea even existed. You can see perch holes that have been kept secret for over 30 years by fisherman. Now they are no longer secrets. The sonar imgages are incredible also. It gives you a clear picture of what is underneath you. Also, the GPS with the trials and waypoints is a great tool in so many ways. Just to scratch the surface you can keep track of all your fishing trips and were you marked a waypoint such as bait marked, fish caught or what ever. The possibilities are endless. I have yet to figure everthing out about that fishfinder.

But one thing I learned is this sport is expensive but so darn addictive. I ended the season running 2 wire/dipsy setup, 3 downriggers and 1 400' copper or ten color lead core down the chute. My plans are to add a kicker motor to my boat for economy and back up reasons. After, that I am hoping to by dual cisco rod holders for each side. I hoping to run 4 wire/dipsy. Also, I'm need to get plannerboard mast for each side of my boat and otter boats. Hopeing to do some flat lineing and also run lead core and copper on the otterboats. If time and money permits I have plans to fish the big O for some Browns and Walleye :$ One thing to add. Having good gear and knowing how to use it is the difference from catching 3 to 5 fish a trip 30 to 40 fish a trip. Thanks LOU community. I don't think I could have had this much success as I have if it weren't for you.! :clap: I'm just rambling now :D Thanks for listening.

Downriggers up untill this year were my only Deepwater approach for most part. To be consistantly productive with them , I had to master how to use them . Many ,many days, the only way I could get them to go was to constantly turn every which way.& vary setup & leads. Was easy to do , till I deployed Dipseys. Could not turn nearly as sharp to draw hits, but the dipsy would work. Very tough thing to get all methods to work in harmony together cosistantly. The best Captains have a hard time with it consistantly. listen to radio& hear " Can't get a rigger to go , only dipsies" or vice versa.

Been thinking about Jimski's approach. He has abandoned the rigger & gone all in with planer/ weight systems. Bet he has every diver size -color -brand out there. Developed a gameplan , mastered it, and executes it w/ confidence & success. Great job. I like your thinking & may copy it some.

I also belive that extreme precision of speed is less & less important the farther from the boat .Wonder how you judge down speed& speed in general.

THE 3'S IS THE MOST IMPORTANT . speed,speed,speed. to match whatever your using to fish with lure,spinners,stixbait,everything must be run at exact (pretty darn close) speed to match the action of what your using and what your fishing for... right now im having good luck trollin at 4 to 8 mph ,but im pullin ballyhoo for spanish mackrel,king mackrel,and doulphin fish in the the fla keys..