penn 49 with lead core line

Hi guys I have a penn 49 kicking around in my boat. I think I has lead core line, the line has a plastic coating on it. What type of rod should I use with it? Right now its on a short ocean rod with rollers. And How should I fish with it. I spent most of my time on cayuga lake.

Lead core line is best used for trolling in water less than 50 ft, and can be used as a very stealthy presentation with the use of a long (maybe 30-60 ft) mono leader, getting the bait way back off the back of the boat. The general formula for the leadcore is approx. 5 foot of depth gained for every color you have out ( 3 colors out gets your bait down to about 15 foot). You can use this setup with most presentations, including spoons, flashers and flies and j-plugs to get your bait down to a precise depth. you can figure out exact depth based on speed, water temp, and line out using the Precision Trolling book found at most major fishing retailers (Gander MTn always has them)

Sounds to me like it is wire line. I bought a Penn 350 reel with plastic coated wire line on it . It was on a 5' boat rod with a roller tip. Got it for 5 bucks at a Garage sale. It's old but like new. The wire is twisted 7 strand deep brown in color. I belive it was used for laker trolling on Finger Lakes from what I asked seller about it.

Your right Has Been, it is coated wire line. I guess next time i'm on the water I will toss it out and see if I get a laker. I am planning one attaching a mono leader to it. What knot should I use to connect mono to wire. Should I peel back the coating where I make my knot? Thanks guys

• 2 months later...

Lead core line isn't coated....I use 6 1/2 ft. ocean rods with rollers..The rollers do not wear out or make " fray " spots in the line and it will last a lot longer than eyes on the tip...Lead core depth depends mostly on speed ....1.5 to 1.8 lake trout speed will get about 1 to 6 or 7 depth ...ie..one foot down for 6- 7 feet out..That is with light weight flutter lures like sutton....88s.98s and 38s...Heavier lures like NKs will run a little deeper..In the.Dog days of summer ....I tie a 12 or 16 ounce torpedo sinker on the lead core.....this will get you to 1 foot for every 3=4 feet of line out and just run a 6 foot flourocarbon leader to the flutter lure.. :yes: .Let the sinker slam the bottom ( you'll feel it) and the lure will run barely above the bottom in the muddy water that the sinker stirs up.. 8) ...killer action for lakers