Planner Board Mass?

rshubuck

Well I want to rig my boat up with a plannerboard mass for spring fishing and wanted a better idea of what to get and where should I mount it. I'm not sure I can pinch the pennies together but I was considering electric and mounting it on the Bow. Is it worth it? Otterboards are also what I was planning on purchasing. Heres a pic of my boat. Thanks for the Help!

Boat.jpg

If it is an open bow I would mount them on the bow. The higher the better. If it isnt an open bow then you dont want to be crawling up there in 4 fters to reel them in. Otter boats are great. IMO well worth it. As far as electric reels. I'ts a luxury but there is always someone on the boat who thinks they are fun to reel in, :rofl:

Agreed with Landshark. I have mine mounted on the bow with a bracket to hold the mast. It can be removed anytime from the bracket with a screw. If you have access to the bow from the windshield, then this will be an ideal location for your boat. In 4 footer sea, I have crawled to the bow to reel in or out the boards. Otter boat is the way to go.

Hey, if your looking for a single mast ive got 1 big jon like new it needs the reels and mounting base, the pulleys are on it and like new, also have sea skee planner boards, sell this stuff for 50 bucks call me, home port myers point Lansing N.Y. #279-8194 fish-on!

The only access I have to the bow is through the cuddy. Thats why I was considering electric but its pricey. Orginally the side mast were mounted behind the windshield as suggested but when I bought the boat I backed it up the hill under a tree and took out one of the mast off:@ ;( It broke the mounting base right off. The other one I used once but the reel is very cheap and I thought I was going to break it off when i used it.

After I posted this yesterday I was doing some more research and I love to buy a fishing arch with the lights, rocket lauchers, and reels. That would be awesome. But I want to get a kicker motor and have my bimini top redone. ;( Why does all this have to cost so much. :o By the time I'm all said and done I could go buy a bigger boat with a hard top all set up. I just can't win. Oh well! I love this sport and can't wait to get back out there even if I can't get what I want :rofl:

One thing to keep in mind with a kicker is its charging system. Our 9.9 2stroke doesn't keep up with the battery unless we don't run the downriggers much, or have a headwind and the motor reving more. The newer purpose built kickers shouldn't have this problem. A regular 9.9 or 15hp will push your boat fine. Just make sure your voltage gauge works and set the alarm on your fishfinder for low voltage. Also I think a long shaft motor is better suited for trolling, ours is a short shaft and will come out of the water and then the next wave is half way up the cowl in rough seas.

I'm definetly going with the 15hp. If I can't run the radio and listen to Hank Williams then an upgrade is in the imediate future :D:rofl: I'm just hoping I can pinch the pennys and go with a 4 stroke. I need a good deal. Any out there?

My two cents. I run a dual planer on my cuddy. I run the line down both sides of the boat and either hook the line to a side rod holder or lay the boards right on the floor while running. I very rarely go out on the front of the boat till I'm back at the dock. Electric is definetely the way to go. I run my boards a lot during the entire season with core and copper. As far as the kicker, my old mariner 9.9 4 stroke pushed my 23 ft Larson with no problem. In fact it will be for sale shortly. It will need a new fuel pump if you plan on pulling fuel from your main tank. Don't be afraid to watch ebay and craigslist. I have bought a ton of those sites in the past.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

• 1 month later...

Installing and building your own electric planer boards does not have to be expensive. If you look at the link at the bottom of my post you can see how LOU members built their own planer boards and masts.

In order to power the reels on these home made masts you have to buy a few electric car window motors and attach them to the reels on your mast, then just wire them into your dash board for easy control.

another great and cheap improvement for planer boards is a simple piece of rope with a shower curtain ring.the ring goes around the planer board line and the rope goes to the window next to the dash.whenever you want to re-attach your lines to to planer board line ,just pull on that rope and you will have the planer board line within easy reach without having to leave the steering wheel. I first saw this simple idea on Glen's Spoonfed and I have been grateful ever since.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9906