French Brittany

bowbender

Whats a french brittany? I have a brittany a little over a year old. she's a hoot. Smart, is hunting well and full of sh#t! Very very good with my nieces and nephews. Ahh I see a bit different than my americain brittany. :D still a similar breed. your going to have to be able to get the dog lots of exercise ot they will drive you nuts!

DSCN6717.jpg

bd.jpg

RR

I agree. My brittany is on his last legs and retired but the personality!!!! Quirkiest dog I have ever owned, and the best hunter. In his day we could hunt grouse all day, get up and do it the next day without a whimper.

French brits are a bit smaller, in the 28-38lb range and a bit shorter. According to breeders, they tend to be less rangy than their american counterparts. Also, lighter shedding. I love the idea of smaller package pointer just so we can take him/her everywhere unlike my past 100lb lab. Just like to see one around but they're hard to find.

my dad breeds american britts loves them he said he would never have any other pointer I have a german shorthair and I feel the same about her. but like RR said what ever way you go get them out and run after a day of mine not running she is crazy. hey RR where did you get that britt from? and where do you hunt the birds I would love to have a day like that.

I got her from Ron George in Lyons NY. He is the nephew of the late Ernie Facer who bred champ Brittanies for years. Highbrow Kennels. I had 2 others from Ernie. I was happy that ron kept the line going. they are great dogs.

I hunt at pay to play preserve in Candor NY called ringneck pheasant preserve. They have a great place. good flying birds too.

RR

pay buy the hunt. It costs about 220 bucks for 6 pheasants and 6 chuckars. I like the chuckars, they hold a bit better and taste fantasitc. Harder to hit too.

http://www.ringneckpreserve.com/pheasant.htm

they also have quail.

I like hunting there. They are open till March. Its really the only way to work the dog. guaranteed birds to work over. I did hunt some of the state preserves this fall but they get the crap hunted out of them. It only takes 2 guys and a dog and those birds are gone.

So the next guy goes in for nothing. I went 6 times and we only found birds once. And of course I missed at the double cocks that went up. didnt know which one to take first and by that time it was too late! :rofl:

I have had Britts my entire adult life and don't see myself owning another kind of dog. They are not only great upland dogs but I use my dog on waterfowl both in the fields and in the water. French Brittanys are smaller and often have different colors than thier cousins. There are more breeders in the mid-west than around this area. I subscribe to the Pointing Dog Journal magazine and they have several breeders listed in the dog breeders section.

Jigger, yes they have plenty of breeders in the midwest and I'm slowly weeding down my search of breeders. Most of the help has come from guys in the midwest. The French are more expensive but I'm willing to pay for the smaller brit. Plus there temperament seems slightly calmer than the American. No offense to American Brit owners, I had one growing up and she was an awesome dog.

french dogs are fun. i've got a braque du bourbonais. a great house dog that will hunt. same size as french brits w/short hair. i don't think you'll find an easier dog to train and live with. super mellow inside/close working /tons of point/stamina to hunt as long as u want. they come in several colors.

Blockhead,

Those Bourbonais's are some neat dogs. You're right, I did some research and they sound a lot like the French Brittany. They do appear to be a bit bigger than the FB. FB are around 30-40lbs so I'm leaning towards the smaller cobby one. I would love to see a pic of your dog. Where do you hunt with him/her?

snowgeese.jpg

i'm 5'8. emma's about38lbs. braques have been around since 1600's. brits came from from braques. she's hunted out west and here in new york. her breeder passed away. ruffinit kennels seem's good. there's a good braque frances breeder in jersy. the coat on braques varies . the boxy build shouldn't. elk run /breeds them larger and i'd stay away from his line.