Info on fishing Cayuga Lake (never fished the lake before)

Hi Guys, Looking for some general info on fishing Cayuga this time of year. Where to launch, what is a good wind as far as wave hgts ect. My winter rig is 14 ft deep v with 10 horse. Used to fish Ginna power plant on Ontario during winter. pre 9/11. Any info would be appreciated. Not trying to steal anybody's hot spots, just general info. Thanks again. Cabin fever setting in bad!

Launch at T-Falls (see map on link) http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/62/getting-there.aspx

Don't go out on Cayuga in a 14' unless the wind is projected to be fairly mellow, the lake can get very,very bad quickly & no one will be out there in the winter to help! Go south from T-Falls and work the shallows early am w/ stix off boards,don't stay at this approach for too long w/ no results. If shallow/stix no go then start working the entire water column out to mid lake w/ divers, riggers, core & flatlines. Typically the fish are scattered but concentrated around & above the bait. Lots of years it's a different day each day when you are winter fishing. See recent posts, land locks can be very active this time of year - if you get mostly small ones try deeper.

The other post are all accurate, shallows in the morning then work your way out. We have been killin the salmonids out there off the stick baits, so i would defintely try that.

And dont forget to post your results!!! :yes:

Any of you guys getting? Looks like I'm out of business for a bit. I shoot for the upper 20s with a east or west wind. Even though T-Falls has the bubbler as the ice sets in on the edges it tough to turn around and the shore ice is tough on the transducers. It has all the making of a tremendous winter season on Cayuga. The last time Lil Jake and I were out we put back close to 20 keeper size LLs. We would have had a mixed bag of Browns but my 1st mate had trouble reading a measuring stick.

Waht are yuo takling abuot Ken, eye can raed jsut fine, but my speliins not so to pretty good. I never thought it would take you this long to post that little slip up. What's an inch or two amongst friends anyway.

Out of Taughannock, if the wind is out of the West you will be fine unless really windy. If out of the east and not too bad you should be fine. If out of the North and Blowing...don't even consider going out.

I'm not trying to be discouraging but, again I feel compelled to say I would be very careful in that 14 footer w/ a 10hp outboard. Even a West wind on Cayuga can come up very quickly, producing waves that will swamp a boat w/ out much free board and that 10hp is not going to allow you to make a real quick escape from an approaching front. Though these quick Westerly blows are more typical of spring thru early fall weather cells, they are possible in the winter too.

Anybody fishing the Fingers in the winter needs to be ultra aware that the margin for error out there is really very small. Be absolutely sure you have a functional (unfrozen) bilge pump w/ fully functional wiring and a backup plan for what you would do if you lost power,etc. I hate to sound like a worry wart but this kind of fishing demands extra caution at every turn. Be safe, have fun & good luck! -Andy