3 ROD - GREAT LAKES ORG

LongLine

http://www.great-lakes.org/wklyfish_nz.html

Pennsylvania

3 Rod Proposal on the table

A 3-line rule proposal is on the table of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

Recently, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. It pertains to amending the (2) lines per angler law to 3 lines per angler. This does not pertain to ice fishing, and will become effective January 1, 2012 if approved. The comment period expires February 11, 2011, so you need to act now if you agree. You can be from out of State or own an out of State fishing related business to comment if your business is effected by this.

Take a moment to write a letter or email the PFBC now.

Recreational anglers have indicated that they favor this proposed amendment. Currently, Michigan and New Jersey have a (3) rod rule and New York State has a pending written proposal for such. There proposal is endorsed by the community and was introduced by Senator Libous.

The State of NY justification for change is as follows:

“The new 3-rod rule is designed to favorably impact a fisherman’s experience by increasing his probability of catching a fish. Catching a fish enhances angler satisfaction more than any other factor and is the prime determinant in deciding whether or not to make return visits to the fisheries of New York.

Return visits to the fishery are a boon to the local economies. Return trips mean more spent locally for food, fuel, lodging, launches, parking, and rentals. The 3-rod rule will not guarantee that people will catch more fish; rather it will give them the potential to locate the fish a little easier. The small crewed boats, the ‘weekend warrior’, the recreationalist, the vacationer, the retired couple who saved up for a boat and now have the time and health to use it will all benefit from this.

It does not mean they must use 3 rods, it will mean they can use 3 rods per person, whether they are operated from land or from a boat, if they so choose. New Jersey and Michigan both have a 3-rod rule, to which they have continued to see a favorable impact to their recreational fisherman.

In addition, the 3-rod rule will not exploit the fishery since exploitation is constrained by creel limits that would still be in effect.â€

Some differing or similar reasons for supporting the proposed change from 2-rods to 3:

1. Assist fishermen in finding a presentation pattern that is successful in taking the desired fish. It is a daunting task for fishermen who don’t go out every week to try and put a sufficient number of trolled baits at varying depths, with action, sizes and colors in an area of the Lake containing fish.

2. Assist fishermen who find themselves in a low bite per hour fishing situation.

3. Assist bank fishermen targeting underutilized resources such as carp and catfish.

4. Adoption of 3-line proposal is projected to make PA a more desirable and competitive fishing destination which will impact jobs and the economy in a favorable fashion.

5. Science based limits are already set by the PFBC and there is no evidence to suggest adverse impact on the fishery.

6. We may see a positive difference in recruiting young people as well as adults to begin to fish by helping their success rate.

7. The sales of fishing licenses should increase with more success and just the “possibility†of an increased catch rate.

8. Increased license sales are healthy for the economy and benefit all

9. Michigan and New Jersey have not returned to their original 2-rod law which implies the “change†was both successful and beneficial.

Submit written comments, to: Executive Director, Fish and Boat Commission, P.O. Box 67000, Harrisburg, PA 17106-7000. Comments also may be submitted electronically by completing the form at http://www.fishandboat.com/regcomments . Comments submitted by fax will not be accepted. To read the PFBC Notice of Proposed rulemaking: http://fishandboat.com/rulemakings/224nprp.pdf

:yes:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

No Exploitation , I love that. Read the testimonials from our own peeps about summer c &r deepwater fish , Copper c&r , and all the poor skips that we try to release, etc. I think it is all based upon reason 8. I love all these studies being done to support this hogwash . Is Jersey a destination but for saltwater? Mich has done a "great" job managing their resource, so don't use them as an example. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!Get out the electric winches, I mean reels.

• 2 months later...
No Exploitation , I love that. Read the testimonials from our own peeps about summer c &r deepwater fish , Copper c&r , and all the poor skips that we try to release, etc. I think it is all based upon reason 8. I love all these studies being done to support this hogwash . Is Jersey a destination but for saltwater? Mich has done a "great" job managing their resource, so don't use them as an example. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!Get out the electric winches, I mean reels.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: