Asian carp find a way into Western New York

Drat! Link not working. Can be seen by going to Capt. Larry's site, "fishing info" the click the top left link, "current fishing reports for the niagara river area", then click on top left link that next appears, "outdoor network forums" and scroll down to "Pennsylvania/ Allegheny reservior, Allegheny river".

Posted there by Capt. Red Childress.

Sorry I'm a bit computer challenged, if someone can find a workable link that would be great, thanks.

linked get truncated in the body of the forum, you have to click on it and pull the addy from the top of your browser window. ;)

BTW- did you see a post somewhere that said the article was inaccurate- conewewango flows into chatauqua then into Erie, whcih they say is incorrect. I as well thought that Chautauqua flows into the Chadakoin river and into the allegheny. the whole premise could be wrong according to this guy. seems likes hes right, but what do i know :$

Duh! Just noticed the flub with the "ot...icle"/ "article" thing. Even I should have caught that one. A couple weeks ago I saw an article on another sight about these asian carp and the Chicago ship locks and in that article they referenced a body of water in Chautauqua county NY as reportedly having these carp now and they would be getting into lake Erie from there and also the Allegheny river, maybe Minton reservior by Westfield but I don't remember, will have to surf around and find that.

I had the same idea, that the info is wrong and is just being repeated without anyone getting it straightened out. As far as I know the only water body connected to separate water sheds in the area is Lime lake which has two outlets. Lime lake water goes south into the Ishua, Allegheny, the Ohio, the Mississippi then the Gulf of Mexico by one outlet, Cattaraugus creek, Lake Erie, Niagara, and eventually the Atlantic by the second outlet.

As far as I know no other lake shares this characteristic, sending its water in two different directions.

I think there must have been some mistake made, an isolated little reservior in Chautauqua county being the only one in the area with these carp? Somebody screwed up when they wrote the article.

The carp would have to cross through the outlet gates of the Kinzua Reservoir, and the Conewango watershed does not drain into Lake Erie but to the south. Chautauqua Lake also has a dam on the Chadakoin River at Jamestown. The article seems to be like "the sky is falling". The Maumee river at Toledo, Ohio which at one time was the outlet of Lake Erie is a more likely gate to the Lake.

im an avid fan of ctach and release but if i ever come into contact with one of these f**kers then i will go to town on each of them with a baseball bat

Just like what I've heard about some unscrupulous "other species" anglers on Chautauqua when they encounter muskies which they regard as pesky lure stealers, they practice "club & release". That would certainly be the best way to handle these Asian sewer trout.

East Mud Lake was the body of water specified, south east of Forestville in Chautauqua county. Not Merit reservior.

I don't know why East Mud Lake is cited unless, like Lime Lake, it connects separate watersheds and if so may indeed provide an avenue of access to Lake Erie.

East Mud Lake is south of Route 39 off the Hanover Road. A stream that flows North at my Country Club, Tri-County in Forestville may come from it, into the Silver Creek watershed. There is a reservoir to the North that the railroads built for their steam engines a century ago and it might block fish travel.

If these Asian carp were brought here from Asia as a food source why isn't anyone eating them. I think originally they came from farms that raised them for food but during the floods these carp escaped. I honestly heard in a blind taste test that people preferred these Asian carp over tuna fish. I know, it sounds nasty but if we could make them a major food source and net the crap outta them couldn't we feed the country? I know this wouldn't wipe them out completely but it might take a few million pounds of these fish out of our waterways. I have heard that in Chicago they gave it a cool name, something like "Singapore Bass" and people ate it up. I am not a carp eater but look at the closest homeless shelter and think of all the people we could feed for almost nothing. I will volunteer to shoot some if given the chance. It would be so much fun! :yes:

Sounds like when they "renamed" the Patagonian monk fish as Chilean sae bass and the price went up something on the order of like 10x.

I agree they need to find some use for these fish that will spur on some real commercial harvest. I like the 'feed the poor' idea, but I'm sure they would turn their nose up at it when they found out what it was...apparently beggars CAN be choosers in these days, with all of us forking over huge percentages of our paycheck to them in the form of runaway govt programs

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png