ice fishing sonar

dewey123

I am thinking about turning one of my fish finders from my boat into something I can use for ice fishing. Has anyone else done this? Also I was thinking if I was to get some electronics would it be worth it to get an underwater camera or a fish finder?

Yep, some guys will even have 2 setups and swap the head unit. Some of the hummingbird FFs have a flasher screen built in. Then it's just a matter of getting a 2nd 'ducer. Just be sure that if you do, you get a dual beam.

Sonar first, camera second.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I have a Lowrance 334c that I use on my boat in the summer and I ice fish with it in the winter. I was able to buy all the parts and the case through cabela's so all I do is take the display off the boat and mount it on my ice fishing set up. I absolutely love it, the gps is nice to have too.

Marcum, Vexilar, Hummingbird, Lowrance, and the Showdown are all good units. Some have more bells and whistles than others. It is like the Fishhawk, Depth Raider, Subtroll, and Cannon speed and temp units debate or the Ford, Chevy, or Dodge debate. It is all about personal preference. I have a Vexilar FL8 SE ultra pack and it's fine for me. I only use it in dirty water or laketrout jigging. All other applications I use the camera. My reccommendation is to find people with each brand and watch them or ask if you can try theirs before buying. That way you can decide which unit best fits your needs.

Most cameras are not day time viewable. You need to be in a tent to see the screen good. If you buy a camera, make sure it is daytime viewable. I own a Marcum black and white camera and it is great inside the tent. It is an older model that is not daytime viewable. A lot of the newer ones are daytime viewable.