buck pond

bob 13

In the 80's and 90's it was awesome for pike, perch and crappies. If the channel stayed open to the lake more, we would get more fish off the lake throughout the winter. We used to see browns and steeleis once and a while too.

Pike and crappie still in the back of the pond. Some hawg crappie too!! Lots of moving around. Had a couple good days on the pike. Largest fish around 32 inches. The troth at the road holds some crappie and pike too, but yes in the early 90s I caught lots of pike and big perch that often hit the pike minnows. If we had all the water that we had in the 80s and 90s then we would have some awesome places to ice fish again. But im afraid that those days are over for buck pond and bradocks at the hotel area. Who remembers fishing there. Man lots of perch and pike in those days. Not to mention the spring time crappie. I cant talk anymore it upsets me ;(

Awesome in the 80's and mind blowing in the 70's! The high water in the early 70's created great pike hatches. We took for granted the pike and bass fishing back then. We released everything but an odd injured pike for a meal. Rode our bikes 16miles round trip at least 3 days a week during summer vacation in the 70's. Caught several 12lbers in the 34-36in range and my dad caught a 15lber out of buck a week before the season opened in the mid 70's. Braddocks was even more incredible back then for Pike. It's more habitat related than fishing pressure. The marshes in those areas provide great spawning grounds when the water is up. Those places always bring back memories. Good luck!

Capt. Vince.. Just out of curiosity, how much lower is the water level today then it was back in the 70's? I know that the water levels fluctuate month to month and year to year, but is there that much of a dramatic difference in the "normal" water level? thx

Capt. Vince.. Just out of curiosity, how much lower is the water level today then it was back in the 70's? I know that the water levels fluctuate month to month and year to year, but is there that much of a dramatic difference in the "normal" water level? thx

The water was up to within a few inches of the edge of the road near Cresent Beach Hotel. On windy days small waves would wash over the road. Old Edgemere, farther West, had a foot of water over it for a while in '72. I can remember spearing carp on the road and filling sandbags.

The water was up to within a few inches of the edge of the road near Cresent Beach Hotel. On windy days small waves would wash over the road. Old Edgemere, farther West, had a foot of water over it for a while in '72. I can remember spearing carp on the road and filling sandbags.

And the people that live on Edgemere Drive complain about the water levels now. My wifes boss would be out of his mind if the water was that high.

I loved the "Buck" back in the 70's. My mom would drop us off b4 I could drive. My biggest pike came out of there. We used to be the 1st ones on the ice spudding our way across the pond. Ahh the good old days. No shelters. Out there in the wind, snow, and rain. Now if the temp is under 30 I close the fish trap and turn on the heater. Oh well. :D:D Go Steelers.

Look for me in april at around 11:30 at night standing on the shore at the cresent beach fishing for crappie :P after work. The channel looks like it sands rite in but last spring the walleye were spawning of the point at the beach club. I caught 4 nice ones while fishing crappie. Still get some big perch in the spring too.

I remember shooting carp w/ the bow in the 60's at Russell's Station. The water level was about the same as it is today. Using concrete structures as my reference points. The sadest thing is that Russel's is closed. No warm discharge and no more fishing. People fished there every day of the year. Remember the commercial with the indian with a tear in his eye. Me too when I drive past there

You "trumped" all of us, steelhead'r. You are the MAN when it comes to history of Rochester area lakefront. You just HAD to bring up "Russell". Stole my moms yellow kitchen sponge and loaded it up with anise, and it was trout candy at Russell. Yes it's sad it's done. Hey, BTW, you still have those same tip ups with blue styrofoam balls for flags? We should get out on the ice once this winter for old times sake.

Vinnie, I can't get used to Vincent, That was before DEC put in those Trout and salmon for alewife control. I thought those fish in your back packs were salmon not pike. Yes I have those blue ball tip ups. Doug and I were at Cranberry this morning jigging for perch. Nothing caught

Back in the 70s and 80s there would be plenty of vehicles parked in the Crescent Beach parking lot and tipups all over the ice... lots of action... took my son there for some of his first hard water fishing... Braddocks was awesome too... trout first thing in the morning and big perch and pike throughout the day... water would be right up to the parking lot at Braddocks Hotel... we got some great videos of the "good ole days" landing browns and rainbows through the ice...