raymarine or garmin autopilot hydraulic

allout280

Is anybody on this site running a Raymarine X10 hydraulic autopilot and would you give it thumbs up or down and how is it in rough water trolling i have a single inboard and 25 hp kicker with valve to use 1 or the other Or if any body is running the garmin 10 auto pilot not the tr-1 i think it is the gh- 10 not sure thanks for any input guys

I run the Garmin GHP-10 and it is one heck of a unit. I had a raymarine unit on my last boat and it didn't work at all like my Garmin unit it would kick out at 2.4mph or less. I did the install on the Garmin and it wasn't to bad its a day job by the time you lay it all out. The garmin like other units runs on its own compass and on the gps. My autopilot is tyed into my NEMA 2000 network. So your motors TAC, GPS, and all are connected. I can troll into the waves at less than 1mph and it never goes off corse. I like the fact it has shadow drive so while the auto pilot is working you can have some one turn the wheel to dodge an object and it will go back on corse. Or you can turn the wheel and hold the wheel at a new corse for a few second and the autopilot will take over at that corse. Or you can use the key pad or hand held remote to do the same thing. I also have it follow a programed trail on my GPS. Sean

I'm running the Raymarine and like it alot. Not into all the interfacing though,less hassle when upgrading electronics in my opinion. I would think either are good units, I know I can hit a button and walk away. Into them, with them, in the trough, it doesn't matter she stays where you pointed it. :yes:

Hookedup im thinking the Raymarine pilot you may have been running was an s 1000 its the only pilot we made that had a hard time with speed. This because in lou of a fluxgate compass it took heading from a GPS and depending on the refresh speed was only as good as the info you were putting in. Not a good pilot for us lake trollers but at uder a grad works good for runabouts and small center consoles. Obviously im a Ray guy and although everyones stuff works Raymarine (autohelm) has been doing it for more than 30 years while Garmin bought technology from TR1. I sell both systems but I do believe from an intergration stand point Raymarine holds the edge.

Thanks for input guys I think i made up my mind talked to a raymarine rep at boat show in New york boat show yesturday he told me i need the st70 x 10 going to buy in 2 weeks or sooner . Ho has best deals on them and is it hard to hook up i herd wilson boat yard installs them thanks very much