Three (3) Rods

I am back from South Carolina where I observed an eighteen foot john boat with twenty four rods and holders used for catfish on the Santee-Cooper Lakes system.

Also there is no limit on deer, but a proposal is underway to limit your buck take to five annually.

It's not that tough to fish with 9 or 10 rods without tangles when using the boards. When guiding 4 clients, we would run 4 per side and one or two flat lines off the back or shallow set riggers. For me, the law will help when it's just me and my wife. Two extra lines will help locate the fish quicker. It will allow us to run three or four riggers and still put out two divers. For some people that might be too much but we can handle it just fine. After all, it doesn't say you must run 3 lines.

Again, it doesn't say you have to run 3 rods. Maybe those who don't like it should only use 1 rod to compensate. After all, running 2 rods must in some way be worse than running 1.

:rofl: Actually, twice as bad if you care to think about it. :yes:

Glen

Hey, just look at how much running 3 rods has degraded the fishery on Lake Michigan, they hardly EVER catch anything anymore over there, that lake has officially been "fished out" from all the added pressure to the fishery. :)

Tim

Tim,

I agree to a point. Michigan also has more borders touching there waters which increases the number of anglers and a variety of DEC regs. I do not know much about Lake Michigans regs but I do know they boat a lot of small fish. We are fortunate to only have NY and Canada on Lake Ontario.

I would like to see the rule to read more like , If you have one or two licensed anglers on your boat you can run a max of 6 rods, 3 or more 2 rods/angler with a max of 10 rods. My reasoning is if you and a child, you your wife and kids or just 2 buddies with kids fishing, you should have the option to run a 6 rod max.

Just my opinion.

Howie

90% of the time there are two people on my boat. I probably wouldn't run 6 rods, buy I would play with a fifth rod when things are slow. I have the copper and the lead core and rarely run them because I don't want to take a diver or a rigger out. If you don't want the to run 3 rods don't! I sure would like to play with my other toys though :yes::yes:

Actually the only time I would take advantage of it is when there are only 2 of us in the boat. My normal spread is six rods, even with 4 people on board I seldom run more than 6, but it would be nice to run the regular spread when it's just me and Dad.

Tim

The 3 Rod/Person has prolly died.As we all know,it passed in the NYS Senate 57-0.It went to the Assembly where it seems to have stalled.Senator Tom Libous is looking for co-sponsership in that body.It will then be reintroduced in his chamber.If any of you know of an Assemblyperson that wants to be involved.....now is the time to ask them to step up and offer to aggressively co-sponser.The sooner the better too as this years budget looks much worse than last....Zeke & Cyn(Strike 3)

Thats my point Tim.

We run 6 as well and occasionally 7 when my brother joins us and I run boards. I will put one on each board, one wire set on 1 1/2, off the port, flat line, lead or copper, off the starboard and 3 riggers.

Most always, even with the 4 of us, we run one down the shoot, 2 off either boards or wire and 3 riggers.

Howie

It's not the three rods in Mich. It was the overstocking by the powers at be that led to the bait fish crash & smaller fish .I would rather be us than them.Our Bureau of Fisheries does not support the proposal. These guys in the face of a lot of adversity have given us a pretty consistant world class fishery . I would think they know just a little bit.

I would rather be us than them.Our Bureau of Fisheries does not support the proposal. These guys in the face of a lot of adversity have given us a pretty consistant world class fishery . I would think they know just a little bit.

I had a great conversation with a region 7 director the other evening at a Federation presidents dinner and didnt hear anything of the sort....I was more interested in discussing with him why we have 10in alewives and the reasons behind us not stressing the bait pop in Lake O... I think a few capts here will agree with me that our stocking efforts are not what they should be. We should not be seeing 10in alewives in our lake period.... As far as a 3 rod rule it doesnt change a thing with bag limits in place. DEC doesnt tell me how many arrows I can carry in my quiver to deer hunt but they sure do tell me how many deer I can shoot... Think about it for just a minute.......

I think more rods, more lures, equals more fish caught. Trout and Salmon suffer more delayed mortality then most fish due to a number of reasons so the excuse that we aren't keeping those fish just isn't responsible.Enjoy what we have while we have it. Hogan

I think more rods, more lures, equals more

and more money being spent on tackle, lures & more people involved with selling/making them thus more money in tax revenue (some for the conservation fund)

more fish caught

and more stories being spread about the great fishing we have; more return visits by fishermen hence again more revenues for local economies.

I can't remember any legislation other than this that won't cost the taxpayer $$$ to implement.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I think that 10 " alewives mean that we have a healthy baitfish pop. Exactly what we want.A great thing IMO . Maybe the reason we saw 2 33 # kings this spring derby . I remember the shores when we had piles of dead ones after the dieoff. Just like money in the bank I want more bait than the fish need.Arrows? I have boxs full of lures & Racks of rods , but what does that have to do with anything.Also,some Charter Capts wanting more fish stocked?Imagin that.Why would the letter I recived from Great Lakes Section Head Wm. Culligan state that B of F does not support the 3 rod bill. What possible difference would it make to them either way unless they knew somthing . Think about that for a minute.