anyone found a horn that lasts more than 2 years?

Knotlost

Not sure if is just me or if all the boat horns im buying are just junk, but I can not seem to find a horn that lasts more than a couple of years and they gradualy turn lame as thay go.

What have you guys found that stays loud and last more than a couple of years. I dont like haveing to change one every few years, they are just a pain in the neck.

Usually some bug likes to crawl into the horn and their nesting material muffles the sound and/or settles on the vibrating parts that create the sound,leaving the horn soundless. taking the horn parts apart and cleaning them has always solved the problem for me.

I carry a stainless steel boy scout whistle in the glove box. Works great, very low maintenance & never have to worry about a non-functioning horn if the CG stops me. You may want to pick one up & always have a spare "horn" onhand.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Yes I do alternates the electric horns are so bad, I have a whistle and a canned air horn.

I have taken them apart to clean them (about 4 now) and they never work even after, and I'm pretty good with mechanics, and I do electrical work so I'm not a novice, these things just seem to be cursed!

They need to make one that has a compartment built in for puting a dozen or so of mothballs in it to keep the bugs out. Every year the mud wasps make a nest in my bilge lines, and thats a bugger to get out.

I have a big train air horn, and have been thinking.... Better not.