deadbait question

BP Swing

I would have to say no and no.Here are the regs. from DEC.website.use of dead fish as Bait

Any dead fish, or parts thereof excluding eggs, that have been packaged for

commercial sale and have been preserved

by methods other than by freezing only

(i.e. salted minnows) can be used in any

water body where it is legal to use fish as

bait and do not require a receipt. Each

package of dead bait fish must be individually labeled, identifiying the name of

the packager/processor, the name of the

species, the quantity of fish contained,

and the means of preservation.

So then no one can use deadbait? Most bait shops dont have certified dead bait do they? You cant use frozen store bought bait and you cant catch your own bait. So how does anyone legally use deadbait which is a top producer of big pike?

Some places sell preserved packaged certified bait including smelt,try Gander.I have never bought it, but a guy showed me a package of cured smelt that he had bought and he had some nice pike to boot.I usually just jig up some small perch and throw them on my tip-ups,it has worked good for me here on Silver Lake.

The Wegmans or Tops smelt are not legal. They have to be packaged and perserved in means other than freezing (ie salted) by a COMMERCIAL bait dealer. It sucks. VHS has come and gone and we are still left with these laws. Like Cheers says, Mitchels has some good dead bait. I still have 15 dozen left to get me through winter. :)