Cayuga 1/26/2011

Fished out of T-Falls with Lil Jake (Mark) & Red Eyes (Jeff). Let me start by saying nothing here is exaggerated or fabricated. The morning started with Jeff complaining of a sore back and he just wanted to go for the ride, however after the first release he could have competed in the 100 high hurdles...........a miraculous recovery I must say!

The action on the surface was minimal which surprised us because the last trip we boated 40 or so fish on the surface. After we went deep with flys & dodgers with wire & riggers we boated several LLs in the 5 to 8 lb class. 60 to 100 ' produced the quality fish. The final count was 12 LLs, 3 lakers, and 1 brown not huge numbers but quality fish. I only landed one simply because those other guys are quicker, the next out I plan to tie their shoe laces together. The largest LL was 26" which I would guess he was about 8 lbs.

Seriously, guys if you can get on the water between cold snaps Cayuga has some fine fishing this winter, be prepared to fish deep or on the surface there doesn't seem to be a consistent method. The lake was flat today that might explain why they were so deep. The bite turned off by 9:30 so plan on getting a early start. The launch is clear all the was to the lake but there is shore ice in the lagoon so turning to get out can be tricky.

Ken

PS: Any rebuttals are are totally false!!!

101_0679.jpg

the day started somewhat slow,until these two guys made me do all the work even though my back was out,,nice guys :lol::lol: real pals ...not really,had a great day on the water,with two great guys. lots of LL;s and the other fish was a bonus...

thanks for a great last minute fishing trip :yes:

Great day on the water, thanks again for the ride Ken. Nice reporting by the way, but it just doesn't seem to fully describe all of the days events. I can't put my finger on it but it seems as thou some of the details of todays trip seem to have "slipped" your mind or out of your hands one or the other. It will come to me sooner or later and I'll fill in the blanks.

I've had rafts and rafts of diving ducks in front of my house for the last week. Thousands and thousands. Maybe they are driving the fish deeper? :rofl: Its been at dusk and I cant tell what kind they are. they are not buffels or mergansers or golden eyes. Just a tad smaller than a mallard. Thousands of em. Been living on the lake for 15 years, never seen anything like it.

Skinny water for sure. There is normally 5ft of water off my docks in the summer. 6 inches now. They lower it any more and my well will go dry and then i'll be a tad :devil:

I knew some of you guys would be out yesterday. When i got up, i was like, man what a day to go out. Perfect. Nice job guys.

RR

Gill-T,

I really thought it would be RR that called BS on that picture. In Ken's defense, the weather for May 2 2008 was sunny with a high of 61 and a low of 47, you gotta love the internet. Ken was kind enough to show me where the 18" mark is on the tape measure, so I could measure a brown :o if I had to, in return I'll set up the time and date on his camera so there is no question in the future. Nice catch Gill-T

:yes: nice looking fish there. They really need to dredge that out or something. That sandbar on the way out makes it a lot tighter than it needs to be. Last year we saw a couple different guys hit it on the way back in. We haven't been out this winter for that reason. I think we will wait untill the canal opens up out of treeman. But i'm definatly ready to be out there again. I love catching those LL's.

Looks like you had a good fishing trip on Cayuga. :yes:

We've been out twice 1/1/11 and 1/8/11 and had good fishing both times.

Weather and work has kept us from going back, but RJ is going today with the Lilboat and we hope to go tomorrow.

I've had rafts and rafts of diving ducks in front of my house for the last week. Thousands and thousands. Maybe they are driving the fish deeper? Its been at dusk and I cant tell what kind they are. they are not buffels or mergansers or golden eyes. Just a tad smaller than a mallard. Thousands of em. Been living on the lake for 15 years, never seen anything like it.

You could be right about the birds chasing them down. I wonder how deep the birds go?

We've marked bait and fish deep when we were out but the all action on top we never really tried any deeper presentations. Deepest was a nice Atlantic using 5 colors.