Whetsone Gulf Reservouir

Anyone ever get up there to fish for tigers? They get huge in there. Have hooked up with a couple but never caught one. The place was relatively unknown until i'd say around 5 years ago then it seemed like everyone and their mother started going so I figure some of you guys have to know about it.

It's Between Turin and Lowville, up on tug hill. It's on the other side of whetstone gulf state park. They have been stocking it with Tigers forever. I mean i'm almost 30 and i remember going up there when I was like 10 and hearing people talk about catching them. It is not really that big. There are a lot of weeds. I believe it is no gas motors. I don't really think it gets any deeper than maybe 15 ft at the most. I mean don't get me wrong it isnt exactly a pond but it's not exactly a lake either. There is an old railroad that big trucks drive down in the middle of it and there is water on both sides. I wouldn't reccomend going up there unless you have a pickup cause it would eat your car to heck. Supposed to be "forever wild"

Wow, small is right...I used to be up the boonville/lowville way 1-2 times a month for 5 years and never heard of it!

If its really no motor (or even hp restricted) i'm probably not likely to fish it, on account of being lazy :lol: I haven't pulled out the canoe even once since I bought the boat :o

How much pressure does it get? Sounds like probably not much if it so far off the beaten path, could be some bigguns I suppose. I could be temped to ice fish it tho...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Like i said it was like hardly ever fished before but it seems like the past couple years it has gotten blasted. I took my boat out a couple times last year, they have some big largemouth in there too. I used to go up there with my buddies in a canoe and we would go through the lilly pads and scare some big ones and you would think they were gonna tip the boat over. Not really though but its kinda humbling to see a fish half as long as your boat. LOL. A lot of people call it the "Dykes" - German for dam. It's up past timberview lodge like tabolts corners. You can't even get in there this time of year without a snowmobile. I would love to ice fish it

I have fished it for years, but have never had they opportunity to hook into them Monster Tigers! I have seen them from the boat, and I wouldn't want to wade in them waters!! My son has hooked into them, and landed one a few years back. I can't recall how big it was, but here's a pic of it, To compare the fish to my son who's 6' 4" and 275lbs. He's big boy and so is the fish.

100_0336.jpg

Dayum thats a nice sized fish! Looks 40" easily. Wish I could see the historical stocking rates. All I can see on the DEC website is 350 in 2009. Doesn't sounds like much but it's small and that's only one year. Now ya got me thinking ;)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I have fished it for years, but have never had they opportunity to hook into them Monster Tigers! I have seen them from the boat, and I wouldn't want to wade in them waters!! My son has hooked into them, and landed one a few years back. I can't recall how big it was, but here's a pic of it, To compare the fish to my son who's 6' 4" and 275lbs. He's big boy and so is the fish.

100_0336.jpg

Yeah, there are some freaking monsters up there. I was only half kidding when I said you scare a fish and it is almost as big as your boat. Where you from Lew? A lot of people fish for bullhead up there at night I know. Used to do that too until I went up there a couple times last spring and you cant even find a spot to go. They kinda blow up on you out of nowheres, that's for sure

As you fish the Dykes, and if your lucky you see what you think is a large log in the water, as you begin to pass over it the log begins to stir up the mud, what you thought was a log is the legendary Whetsone Gulf Reservouir Monster Tiger, as it begins to move it gently rocks the boat as it slowly slips away with no fear of you at all, you will quickly glance at your fishing buddy on the other end of the boat and his eyes will be as big as saucers saying "DID YA SEE THAT" It's at this point you will realize when your fishing the Dykes you are the Prey and they are the Predator! You both reach for the bottle of Ole GrandDad for a very needed shot at 5am in the morning, swearing you will never tell a soul as to what you just seen cause they will never believe you!! A bit of advice Never place your hand in the water when fishing the Dykes!!

Were just south east of the Dykes in Grieg Howboutthosemets

• 2 weeks later...

Been there many times on the snowmobiles, when heading over to Montague, and floating around on the "hill" in general.

Sounds like it would be worth talking my Grumman with the electric, and taking a good look one day.

We know some folks over in Glenfield, up on the Brantingham hill, and over in Lyons Falls too.

Been there many times on the snowmobiles, when heading over to Montague, and floating around on the "hill" in general.

Sounds like it would be worth talking my Grumman with the electric, and taking a good look one day.

We know some folks over in Glenfield, up on the Brantingham hill, and over in Lyons Falls too.

Go during the week if you can. Weekends are rough because there are a lot of people there