coated cable

After 6 seasons it's finally time to replace the coated cable on my probe rigger. All I seem to be able to find online is 200' spools. Does anyone have a source for longer lengths of coated cable? With the fish seeming to go deeper every year, I'd like to put at least 300 if not 400 feet on my probe rigger.

Thanks,

Tim

Last spool of 300' I got from Moore Tim. Just recieved the yearly sale thing and didn't see it listed.

Maybe you could call them.

Also the 300 ft spool thru the counter off on my Scotty about -15 ft at 100.

Glen

Say bye bye to probe and weight if you use the "wire line knot". My guess it would break at the second wave you go over. :o Use the klincher connection.....I believe Moor Electronics sells the releases without the rivot you have to remove. You can also use a cannon termination system, just strip the insulation off the end so it sticks out enough to wrap around the terminal swivel eye. As long as there is metal to metal connection to the eye you are good (I use this method).

I know quite a few people use that knot for regular rigger cable connections without issue, including Capt. Ernie Lanteigne who I learned the knot from. I don't know why it would be any weaker with coated cable. However, I don't know how good of a signal transfer you'd get. The modified Klincher terminator setup is easy to put together and provides a super connection between the probe and the display.

4271765e56ac18f6.jpg

Tim

The problem with the wire knot used in this manner is the wire is too thick/stiff to cinch down and stay cinched down at the back overhand knot IMO. I would add a few crimps to keep the knot from slipping.....but I ain't going to risk my probe to try it! IF someone uses this knot please post your results, because it would provide the least drag of any termination......and the cheapest.

I use it with a blacks release and add a crimp just in case. I tryed a few differnt ways 1st was to srtip wire of coating but I would lose signal around 140' or so. Then I tryed slipping a srink tube over it and sealing better with that..............that worked OK till it started to beak apart.................next I made knot and burned coating off , that was a pain I did get all the coating off and would not work then it would............... I think the best would be too just strip a small area where you think the knot will end up...............the other bad deal with the burning off the coating is the wire will start to rust alo causing signal lost.................

You won't have any issues with the wire line knot on the regular or coated cable. Captain Ernie and I have used it for at least 5 years on every rigger termination, including the probes. Never seen one break. I have had cables break at a Klincher before though.

I don't generally use any crimps. You could use them to clean up the tag end of the knot, but you don't need them for strength. I added a photo of my probe leader and I also lenghtened out the distance to the overhand knot on that so that my modified probe attachment rides on the doubled up cable. For the Cannon probe I leave the tag end of the knot I tie in the coated cable long enough to add an electrical connector to and plug into a connector on the antenna.

100_0333.jpg