coated cable

Next question Miss em. I painted a shark to look like a fish like you....got a lot of streaks to look at it, but my hook ups suffered. Tried all different lead lengths....could not buy a fish. Painted it black again. Now this was on the big 20 lb shark. I have pancakes that I painted to look like a fish, and have excellent results., perhaps from the rear, a pancake disappears so the fish can re-focus on the bait? What has your experience been with your fish weight?

The shark weight was just a photo prop. I don't think I have ever caught a fish behind my Shark weight. I had one of those days when I couldn't catch anything with the Shark weight down but lit them up after I pulled it. After that I just said the heck with it. Never have given them much of a chance I guess and I know a lot of really good fisherman swear by them.

We do use the 12# Salmon tracker weights. They are fish shaped and are probably 14-15 inches long. Captain Ernie's have actually been professionally painted by a taxidermist to resemble brown trout. They are pretty much all he uses for his side riggers during the summer. He had a couple painted up as smallmouth base and a yellow perch for back when he was musky fishing. Looked really cool and they certainly don't seem to hurt his spread at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I found 400' spools of coated Cannon Saltwater Line Release Downrigger Cable at Boaters World, but it is 135 lb test. Most rigger cable is 150 lb. Does 135 lb seem a little light to you all? It does to me, especially with 15.5 lb Atommik torpedo cannonballs.

Unfortunately, that's the only coated cable I've been able to locate longer than 200'. Moor has 300' listed on their site, but doesn't look like they have it in stock.

Tim

Tim on another board guys are fishing deep and went to 125# for rigger wire smaller dia.= less blow back also use braid on the rigger rods same reason. I have not heard any on them putting there probe that deep thou. So yes 135# would be OK but with the extra stress of the probe ( and the cost to find out) .......................emoticon-0127-lipssealed.gif