Fish Bone Grinder

fishbear

I am interested in finding a specific Make and Model Grinder or Food Processor that someone KNOWS will grind up the small pinbones in Pickerel so the meat can be used for fish patties. I've read on other forums that people have done this sucessfully but I've never seen a specfic one referenced. Has anyone here been using a grinder or processor for this, and if so exactly what do you use?

My mother-God bless her soul- used to prepare a dish for her Polish grandmother. It was a ground carp patty.The way she got rid of the small bones was quite simple.She would leave the fish overnight in vinegar.The acid in the vinegar would dissolve all the small bones.Then she would boil the fish ,grind it up and add some sugar to get rid of the sour taste. There were absolutely no bones in her patties. It was my mom's version of "gefillte fish" and tradition forced me to partake of it.

You had to be Polish to enjoy it.....

I am interested in finding a specific Make and Model Grinder or Food Processor that someone KNOWS will grind up the small pinbones in Pickerel so the meat can be used for fish patties. I've read on other forums that people have done this sucessfully but I've never seen a specfic one referenced. Has anyone here been using a grinder or processor for this, and if so exactly what do you use?

Did you by any chance read about "pickerel" in some Canadian cook book? Usually when Canadians say pickerel,they mean what we call walleye

Did you by any chance read about "pickerel" in some Canadian cook book? Usually when Canadians say pickerel,they mean what we call walleye

No rolmops, I'm talking about Chain Pickerel. There are so many in Oneida Lake that you don't have to worry about keeping your limit- lots of people say there are way too many. I may try the technique you suggested, but I'm still interested in a grinder or processor to do the job. I have been softening the bones in a pressure cooker, but it's time-consuming and smells up the house!

• 1 month later...