TOURNAMENT - Chautauqua Musky Cash Tournament - June 23rd

As of June 6th we now have 100 Fishermen signed up for the Chautauqua Musky Cash Tournament. This means the the payout will be $2500! Anyone that gets in the Tourney now sends all funds directly to the Bait Fish Fund. Lets see if we can get another 40 or 50 signed up,ask a friend,mention the Tourney to other fishermen you meet at boat ramps & tackle stores,lets try to have the biggest muskie tourney ever on Chautauqua Lake!

Notice: Menu Change; We will now have Pete's Famous Chicken Barbque, 1/4 chicken, potato salad & baked beans for each Tourney Fisherman! We will have a Donation Can out to hopefuly get back the costs of the food and not take from funds needed by the Bait Fish Fund.

Tourney Entrants So Far: 50 from NY & 50 from OH,PA & NJ

Hey larry...with this tourney gaining steam and more anglers showing interest how about in the package you send people add a flyer on release tactics and tools.I`m sure the majority of entrants have proper tools of the trade but with the increase in prize money i`m affraid there will be some that are or will be improperly prepared.New musky hunters are great..knoweledgeable ones will be better.I would hate to see a fish bellyup that was cramed into a net unfit for a bass!!or one that was held up to long `cause they had no way to cut a hook.A set of linesman pliers are better than nothing if you don`t posses some knipex or other bolt cutters.Just a thought....i`m sure many of you would agree and come up with some more ideas.

sol

Bob, That is a great idea about adding instructions on proper handling of muskies and tools needed in with the Tourney Packet. Trouble is I already mailed them out because I will be on the water every day starting Saturday June 18th thru Friday June 24th and have no time. I will add the NMA Release Pamplet in with the Sept 10th Tourney Packets!

Also I'm doing a Seminar on friday September 9th at 7:00 pm the day before the September 10th Tourney, I'll cover Muskie CPR then as well.

Capt. Larry

We now have 130 fishermen in the Tourney! You can still use PayPal signup thru Sunday,monday is the last day I can mail any Tourney Packets to arrive at someones house before the Tourney,then you have to go to Happy Hooker Tackle from monday on to friday the 24th to sign up.I will also be at Mayville Launch from 6 to 9 am on Tourney Dat June 25th for the last late Tourney Entrants!

All indications are the first month of the Chautauqua muske season will be a Trolling bite,out over deep water for suspended fish.The grass growth has taken over the shallows,depeating oxygen,suspending fish out deep.Troll crankbaits 15 ft down over 34 to 35 ft of water at 4.5 to 5.2 mph!

See ev eryone at the Tourney! Capt. Larry

• 4 weeks later...
Next Chautauqua Cash Tourney will be Sept 10th,2011.The Tourney will be $40 per Fishermen.(Full Field 100 Fishermen,Notice: Tourney Field will be allowed to go behond 100,but prize structure will stay as set at 100),1st Place $1000,2nd Place $600,3rd Place $500,4th Place $400,with the remaining $1500(and Entry Fees Behond 100) going to the Bait Fish Fund!(NOTICE)***Those signed up by July 31st will be in the Drawing for (2)two St.Croix Legend Tournamemt Big Nasty 9ft Hvy Rods,one each to two lucky early entrants!*** This will be based on the 4 Longest Muskies caught & released,each fishermen can only enter 1 fish,their Longest!Photo must be taken with pin on Tourney Button visable in picture for Entry to count toward prizes.Tourney Button will be mailed to you 5 days before the Tourney along with Release Form or can be picked up from 6:00 am to 9:00 am on June 25th at Mayville Launch.Witness of your release form can be by anyone else in the Tourney.Picture of musky with Tourney Button for prizes can be show from your cell phone or camera to me when you turn in your Release Form.Release Forms must be turned in by 6:00 pm to count for the Prizes,bring them to Mayville Town Park.Tourney fishing hours at Midnight Friday Sept 9th to 5:00 pm Sept 10th. Food will be cooked on the spot!Hot Dogs,Hamburgers & Chili starting at 5:00 pm.We will have a 50/50 Raffle & Lure Raffle Table.We will use Mayville Town Park for the Awards Presentation,we will use the green shelter and bring a grill.You may launch from anywhere on the lake,other launches are Long Point State Park,Prendergast,Bemus Point & Celeron!

Donations to the Chautauqua Bait Fish Fund are much appreciated as well!Make checks out to Mostly Muskies and mail to Capt. Larry D. Jones,268 Harrison Ave,Buffalo,NY 14223.

You may also submit payment online via PayPal by clicking on the link below:

:star:SIGN UP TODAY :star:

***NOTICE: AWARDS PRESENTATION IS AT MAYVILLE TOWN PARK & LAUNCH***

Please Join Us For The Awards,Raffles at 6:00 pm and Food Served 5:00 pm till 7:30 pm!

Last years tournament winning fish:

1st Place

Mark_Winner.jpg

2nd Place

Brooke_Two.jpg

3rd Place

3rd_Place.jpg

Hope to see you there!

Capt. Larry

716-432-0198

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I just found out from the St.Croix Factory the two Big Nasty Rods we will get are going to be mfg with a more supierior resin,they will be 30% Stronger!the cork handle will be slightly longer and a little blgger in diametor with a tougher reel seat. They will have Legend Elite quality.We will get them before the public even sees them,value $360 each.Be sure to signup by July 31st for the Sept 10th Tourney to get in the Big Nasty Rod Drawing!

Capt. Larry

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

oldeagle.......... it's the new guys that SCARE us! Beginner's luck always win's this tournament :lol::lol::rofl: It's a great time and you will enjoy getting to meet a bunch of really great guys. Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

At last nights NMA Meeting we had the Drawing for the Early Entry Kwik-Fill $300 Gasoline Card,the Winner was Mark Elwood that owns Chautauqua Fitness Center in Ferdonia,NY. Congrads Mark,the Kwik-Fill Gift Card will be given to you at the Awards Presentation at 6 pm June 23rd at Mayville Lakeside Park.Thanks to the 59 Early Entrants to the Chautauqua Musky Tourney so far!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Guy's the Tourney Signup has slowed right down,we are stuck at 60 Tourney Entrants,tell a friend,get the word out,this year is very important because of the early water temprature rise we can get more outside growing time for the muskie fingerlings and may need to purchase more then $3000 of extra fathead minnows.So it is very important that we get a full field for the June 23rd Tourney!

Ok,I have been hearing from a few people that are very upset that the Funds after Payout from the Chautauqua Tourney & Bait Fish Fund are Taxable if carried over to the next year.This is not a 501c3 oranization,so taxes have to be filed each year and we must pay taxes on any income,income is any funds carried over to the next year.PayPal or Checks are a paper trail,so are Tourney posts and Tourney Flyers posted.PayPal sends a 1099-K form to the IRS reporting these funds being collected,so not to do a tax return would mean all kinds of penalties on top of taxes owed.The only alternative after this years Tourney's is for 2013 to go to a One Tourney per year format and pay every dime out right after the Tourney on bait fish purchase,leaving no carried over funds at the end of the tax year,so what we purchase in bait fish will be only what we raise in funds from January to August.We did take a sizable hit on the Bait Fish Fund paying adjusted income tax IRS & NY State Returns for 2008,2009,2010 and this years 2011 tax returns.This is partialy my fault for not understanding the tax laws and the hatchery having problems,those two years that we never purchased bait fish and carried the funds over year to year.So we got taxed each year on funds that added up after we paid taxes on part of the money the year before.Because of my Tax bracket it cost 15% IRS and 6.5% NY State.Again I will bite the bullet here,because it is my fault that funds were lost because we carried them over,I will make up those lost funds out of my pocket by paying extra funds toward Bait Fish Purchases in 2013 & 2014. I also lost tax return funds I would have recieved if the Tourney & Bait Fish Fund were not on my tax returns,I'm not asking for those funds back either.Then there is the issue of the Early Sign Up Draw Prizes,they are not paid for from Tourney or Bait Fish Funds,they are paid for by Me,that is $1340 out of My pocket for those Early Signup Prizes!Each year I spend a lot of money out My pocket to get the Tourney's organized,off the ground and run,I never collect any funds back for my gasoline or time.I put up with all this because I want to see a differance in our muskie fisheries,the extra bait fish mean better fisheries in the future.I'm just getting very tired of some persons in the peanut gallery on the side trying to constantly find fault with what we are doing.If they want to start a 501c3 organization for the Bait Fish Fund,field the officers,have the meetings,incorperate and pay one officer a wage and pay Social Security & NY State Disability payments for that one person,be my guest I will gladly hand over the whole thing.By the way every time someone pays via PayPal the $40 Entry Fee,I get $38.54 after PayPal Fees,so I have made up out of MY pocket $1.46 for each transaction,that adds up over time,but I do not ask for it back because if I took all checks I loose all the gasoline to drive the checks to the bank to deposit.

I'm sorry to have to make a post like this,but I had to say my peice,I'm very tired of getting slammed all the time when I'm trying to do something right for the muskie fishery ,not just for me but everyone else as well.I'm assuming that the signup for this June 23rd Tourney is behind because of these persons talking behind my back.We spent $3000 on Bait Fish last year and will do the same this year!

Thanks, Capt. Larry D. Jones

The amount of Bait Fish purchased for 2013 & 2014 should be close to the same with me paying back funds lost to taxes,without caring any funds over.Starting 2015 only the funds raised from January till August and June Tourney can be used to purchase bait fish and we can't carry any funds over.I can't pay the bait fish co. ahead for the next year because every year the bait fish purchase is put up for bid by the NY DEC and your not assured that they will be the one under contract the next year.Any funds raised from Sept through December would have to be held and not turned over the the Bait Fish Fund until after January 1st the following year.

Thanks, Capt. Larry D. Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Come on guy's,$40 for a chance at winning some dollars,you get a chicken dinner,no fishing license needed,you can sleep at the Prendergst Launch parking lot for free and above all your helping purchase fathead minnows to feed the muskie fingerlings at Pendergast Hatchery.Please consider joining us!

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned we are having a 2nd Chautauqua Tourney on July 28th using the same format.I've also been thinking about possibly adding a July 29th Chautauqua Tourney Championship

Sunday's Chautauqua Tourney Championship would be a fish off for the Top 20 Fishermen from Saturday(no entry fee--must qualify).If there are not 20 Fishermen that caught fish on Saturday the remaining positions would be drawn from those fishermen that are present at Saturday's Awards Presentaion.The Chautauqua Tourney Championship fishermen will be paired up by drawing,only the two fishing the Championship can be in the boat they are using.They would get a Special Chautauqua Tourney Championship Hat that must be worn while taking muskie picture.Those Top 20 Fishermen would fish using the Point System,3 points for 40"muskie and 1 point for every Inch over 40". The Winner gets a Chautauqua Tourney Championship Trophy & $500 Cash! Is this Idea worth doing or not?

Well after going over tax liability for myself for 2013 with my CPA,I have to make major changes starting next year.Because I start collecting Social Security next year I can not earn more then $14,000.00,if I do I loose Social Security dollars.So I have to get the Chautauqua Tourney & Bait Fish Fund off my tax books and on to a New Muskies Inc Chapter or New All Esox Club.This would be a 501c3 Org where the funds can be carried over in the Bait Fish Fund from year to year.As it is now any funds not paid out the year that it is raised is Income on my Tax Returns,as I found out this year getting hit for back taxes for 2008,2009,2010 tax returns.I also have to scale back my fishing charters to about 1/3 as to not reach the $14,000.00 income limit.

So everyone,If No One Is Willing To Help Start A Muskie Club to have a Conservation Fund started to hold the Tourney & Bait Fish Funds,I may have to bring the Tourney's to an end! I can not start a club by myself!The two Tourneys this year will cover the $3000 bait fish purchase this year,funds that I have that had taxes paid on them will cover bait fish purchase for 2013.Unless we start a New Muskie Club to collect Tourney Entry Fees and Bait Fish Funds for the 2013 tax year,everything stops at the end of 2012.Last bait fish purchased will be 2013 if New Club is not started,sorry I can not loose my Social Security to keep it going!With all this said,it is also very important that we have big turnout at the June 23rd & July 28th Tourney's so that we grow very big muskie fingerlings this year and also next year,because this may be the last two years we can make a difference.To keep it going some people have to step up and help start a Muskie Club Now!

Capt. Larry D. Jones