Beginner seeking advice on ice fishing

Landshark

Well the perch and white fish are definitely the best table fare.The lake trout are the best fight.The Lake Trout are not that difficult to catch.They are eating machines.I have had my best luck for Lakers in deep water 80 to 100 ft.just off bottom with Swedish pimples tipped with minnows.It really helps to have good electronics such as a vexilar.I have only caught a couple of white fish.I caught them in the same manner but much shallower water, like 30 ft.You can get all the info you need on iceshanty.com.Welcome aboard this is a great forum with tons of info.I just wish people here would share there ice fishing reports a little more so I wouldn't have to go to the shanty.You my get better help if you specify were you are going to be fishing.

In the Rochester area, you are not going to get white fish... lake trout at some of the finger lakes deep... perch, pretty much anywhere, where have you caught whitefish Sean? Perch are not that easy to catch, maybe small ones.. gotta be on the right lake at the right time, that is for sure... you know what they say should have been here yesterday.. What kind of Equipment do you have... I would say if you are just starting out, maybe go out with someone, and see if you like it.. it is hard work... for us old guys anyway.. good luck..

Kappy I caught a nice one years ago had to be close to 5lbs.At The Bay of Quinte while walleye fishing .The guy next to me was so excited saying thats a beautiful fish. I gave it to him.He had a 12lbs walleye laying next to him and he was more excited about the Whitefish.I also caught a couple of very small ones last year on Irondequoit Bay.So I guess you can catch them around Rochester.They are kind of a rare catch out of Lake Ontario but they are in there.

For whitefish, your best bet would be to go to Lake Simcoe in Ontario. There are plenty of hut operators there that can set you up for whitefish if that is what you want. They will take you out to their huts and really make your trip worthwhile. Use the internet to check them out.

Dont know what you have for gear but you should start with the basics and go from there. Start with a couple rods 18-24''. One with light action with 3 pound trilene ice and one with 6 pound. You can add a set of tip ups or tip downs to the mix also. I know when I started it was all about the big fish like pike and trout. As I got older, 16, it changed to panfish for me. Nice to catch some big ones now and then ;) You need a hand auger like a mora or a lazer, a five or 6 gallon bucket, ice scoop and a a modest selection of panfish jigs and some jigging spoons. I like the line from Dave Genz like the fat boys and Genz worms. Also Marmooska jigs and gill pills and diamonds jigs from custom jigs and spins. They all go good with a waxworm or spike or plastic. Jigging spoons like the swedish pimple and castmaster are great jigging spoons for trout and perch. Shelters are great to have but are not needed, but if your wallet can handle it a great starter is the fish trap scout by dave Genz. Im sure you have seen them, the blue ice houses out there. The scout is a one man and a flip style shelter. You can custom the inside to your needs and fit all your gear in the tub. They also drag easily over the ice and snow. BOoTS BOOTS BOOTS!!!!! you need good footwear and good headwear. You can go to any body of hard water and find the most interesting and creative headwear that exists. The ice anglers have the warmest hats known to man. I have a buddy that wears a fur hat made from a full coyote skin. When I first saw it I wanted to beat him over the head with my ice auger to free him from the attack :o But the point is that it is warm. Boots should be warm and waterproof. You see lots of guys wearing the rubber knee boots in the 1500 to 2000 thinsulate. They are a hunting boot but great for ice fishing. You will encounter slush and water and your feet will stay warm and dry. As far as were to go I would say that you are new to it then go were the people are. Watch and ask questions most guys are happy to answer and give advice. And as far as what to fish for thats up to you. You will fall in love with some kind species. I love perch, walleye and crappie. They are all top notch when it comes to eating. I hope this helps you and if you have and Qs just ask me or any other guy on this site and im sure it will get a response with more than you need :yes: Good luck and good fishing.

Patrick McManus told a story about how every time that he wanted to go ice fishing he'd first have his wife shovel a bucketful of snow down the back of his shirt. That was usually enough to keep him at home, where he could sit in front of the fire and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa. If he still wanted to go, he'd drink whiskey instead of cocoa until the feeling subsided. :D

Best way to figure out if you like the sport is to go fishing with someone who's been at it for years. If you want to spend $$$, then put it toward good cold weather gear. If you get cold, you won't enjoy yourself, and with the stuff available these days there's just no reason to ever get cold.

Once you figure out what you like, the put your money toward that aspect of the sport. It doesn't take much to get started. A good grill and some sausage will make you a lot of friends on the ice...