Lake Erie, Sturgeon Point Marina access point

jimski2

The fishing was good for those traveling several miles out on the lake. But the blow we had over the past few days with the high east winds opened things up out there. The high west winds should tighten the ice field back up but as for now, the Evans Police are warning "stay off the ice".

A seventy year old fellow went into a hole opened up at a shove by ATV's passing over it. He was pulled out and taken in to an ambulance. Too much beer was noted. DEC and all the agencies were out checking everything so have your act together.

The trails were three miles of walking to get out a mile plus. The first half mile was really rough. Travel light, bundle everything up, the trail is littered with lost gear bouncing out of sleds. Bring a compass as visibility is nothing in the falling snow and you do not want to come ashore in Canada.

Ice Shanty site has reports continuously at Erie/Erie.

Thanks Jimski2 for the report.I was out the day after the guy went in.I was on foot,you guys blazed a great trail out there.I fished from 11 to 5.Fishing in 54 ft. Fishing was a little slow for me.Kept 8 nice perch threw a couple back.Best perch I have caught all year.Most of my action was from 3 to 4.

• 2 weeks later...