Okuma 30dx reels- Line??

Hi i am new to salmon fishing and did not want to spend to much money my first time out.

So my question is what size line and kind of line should i put on the Okumas magda 30dx with a Okuma classic Pro rod.

I will be using these on my downriggers for fishing Salmon.

Also was thinking on booking a charter my first time out to get some first hand know how and wondering if charter Captains are ok with someone asking for fishing info during a charter?

Thank you ahead of time for any help.

GTA Toronto Ontario

That was good info. 20lb mono will be the most versatile type of line, and that reel will hold plenty of it. You can always run a small barrel swivel and use a leader of a different weight.

As for learning charters, Captains on both sides of this "Big Pond" of ours are running more and more trips of this type. It will really speed up your learning curve, and be a great time for you and your friends. Good Luck!

I think you will be better off with 30lb mono and a 20lb or less leader for early season. Otherwise you will have to take off the 20lb and put 30lb on in the middle of summer when the water fleas come out in huge numbers. I made that mistake last year and had to change 6 rods to 30lb. Fleas will stick like crazy to 20lb but no where near as bad with the 30lb.

spool it up most of the way with 20 lb (I actually use 17 lb Trilene XT) and add 100 feet or so of 30 lb to the end to account for the line between the rod tip and the rigger release. Best of both worlds, that gets you the added capacity of the smaller diameter line with the flea resistance of the 30 lb. A small #8 spro power swivel and 6' of lighter leader with just a snap to the lure completes it, the small spro will run right up the rod guides and not limit your ability to reel up to the lure and just a snal at the lure end minimizes the restriction to lure action that you can sometimes get with a snap swivel.

Tim

Thanks people for all this great info.Once i get the line installed maybe we could talk about 6 or 8 main spoons and colors that i can start with.Just dont want to purchase ones i won't need.

This help is going to be a great start for me in my new venture of Salmon fishing.

Again many thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge.