Canadice Smelt 2/3

bloodshot

Good fishing for smelt last night with my dad. We kept a few hundred. All fish caught on tiny marmooska jigs with a spike. 25 FOW and the green light was the trick with a faint glow. Fished from dark to 12:00. Wind picked up and for saftey we decided to go.

Dude, you need to take me out sometime this week! I found that spot where you was talking about it but I need to learn how to strike it right or maybe I have wrong hook size for smelts.

I just went smelt fishing this morning, 3am-9am, I saw tons of them surface below the ice but very difficult to get hooked even I had smallest hook on spike. But managed get 4 of them. It is my first time to caught the smelt! :yes:

I hope that you might able to tell what I might did wrong on this one when we get together sometime soon.

Bill I have tried all over the lake and in all depths, they are there I can see em on the camera and electronics but they dont eat. If you google ice fishing for smelt most guys are fishing in the day and crushing them. Dont know why they dont eat in big numbers during day. I know all the plankton and other little creatures release from bottom as it gets dark. My light is loaded with plankton within a hour of set up but the smelt at the light dont eat. I think they are full already. I catch them below the light like crazy. You have got to go it is a blast and they are unreal to eat :clap:

Deaf Fisherman the reason that you may have not got them may be because they were filled up with plankton. Cant take much to fill the little guys. Let me know when you can go and I will meet up with ya. Im thinking about going monday night. I get there before dark and fish for trout for the last hour and then fish the smelt till around 9:00-or 10:00.

I talked to a buddy tonight and we're thinking next sunday night. What size hooks, and spikes for bait? Your right I googled it and youtube and it looks like a blast. I mostly fish perch but, my season has been pretty slow so far. Fished I-bay again today with alot of slush on the ice and only 6 dinks in a couple hours.

bloodshot - allright, I might can make it on Monday night. I'll attempt to arrive there before 7pm.

one more thing, how can I know it is you when I got there? any kind of ID that I might able to recognize such as hut or something? or simply give me, your text number in PM so I can give text ya when I get there?

bill - I think the reason why smelts don't quite catch that amount of fish during the day is that is when big fish are awake. Then in search of foods in which it is smelts.

However, during the night time, most of big fish are sleep. Therefore, smelts are come up in search for foods.

Maybe I am wrong about this but that is what I am sure about it so far.