The Chenango county Crow War of 2011.

chowder

My county's seat, the town of Norwich, has been plagued w/ crow issues for years (much like some others-Auburn,etc). I live far outside of town but have seen great flocks of these birds at different times when I've been running errands from time to time but I've never seen large numbers of them out here at the farm till last weekend when they descended en mass on my corn silage bunker. It was bad enough when they were feeding on the spillage and the exposed face of the bunk but when they started poking holes in the top cover to get at the unexposed feed I was forced into action. My son & I quickly dispatched a large number of them last weekend using a pair of trusty 1100s and it seemed as if the massive numbers of dead ( being picked over by the barn cats, who quickly grasped that a shotgun blast meant a fresh meal) caused the crows to disperse and they were not here all week till yesterday.

Yesterday they were back again in epic proportions, and again I went out with my auto loader to mete out some death. This time though, the minute the crows saw me with the shotgun they dispersed back to about 100 yds, blackening the trees with they're massive numbers and cawed raucously. "OK you s.o.b.s", I thought, as I went back in & grabbed my Savage 22mag heavy. Using my camper as a rest for the bipod equipped rifle I cranked the scope up to 16, pulled myself together, and picked my bird. At the sound of the shot mayhem ensued as the dead crow pitched into the snow. "Ha", I thought, that will teach you to mess w/ me! The birds moved back to about 375 yards and again began to mass up, blackening the trees.

Back into the house I went. As I passed thru the kitchen with my 22-250 long range predator rig my wife looked up with alarm and said "what on earth is it that's going on out there?". "WAR!", I declared! Leaving nothing to chance, I quickly set up my swiveling shooting bench using the corner of the calf barn for cover and set up my rifle on two shooting bags. I did my 'breathing thing' and broke the 1.5lb trigger. The shot was good but there was no opportunity for a follow up as the gigantic flock flew, swirling high up into the sky. They haven't been back, but I'm ready...

I had the same problem on my dairy cow barn with starlings. (about 30 years ago).

My neighbors took to putting dogs on the barn roofs, which I really did not like, nor did the dogs.

My solution was zig zagging electric fence wire bout 2 inches above the metal roof.It was fun to see one or two get zapped and scream,causing the others to fly off in a panic. It solved my problem without causing a stink (no dead birds) and without attracting other vermin that would come and feed off the dead birds.

WTG Andy :yes::yes: Did you try the rounds we talked about???

The accutips are all I'm shooting now Pete, thanks for putting me onto them! Now I just need a coyote out there at 375 instead of a crow. ;) -Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I hardly ever come into this section and let me say...sorry for the crow problem, but hanging out at your place sounds fun...If i lived closer i would come shoot em for fun. I dont ever hunt but within the next year i plan on shooting some birds...another addiction im sure.

The crows have made several attempts to retake the silage storage area. These are some smart birds! They got so they would look through the barn windows to see me approaching and were even able to see me on the opposite side of the barn through 2 rows of cows giving them plenty of time to get out of shotgun range (the 'normal' movements of the guys milking or feeding gave them no cause for alarm!).

Fortunately the sniper activity has driven them away each time. For some reason having one of their ranks just drop dead off a branch when they think they are a safe distance away seems to truly scare the hell out of them.

• 4 weeks later...

We actually use crow decoys and callers to bring them in really close and shoot them for layout blinds. Works really well. Up north farmers have the same problem with the crows and pigeons. We decoy both. We have a great time. Most successful crow hunt was 128 between 4 guys. Would of had more but ran out of 200 shells we brought between all of us. Pigeons are a great hunt to. Best day was 114 and that was the most memerable hunt I've had for those things.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png