Nice spot!

Deaf Fisherman

I just went smelt fishing this morning, 3am-9am, I saw tons of them surface below the ice but very difficult to get hooked even I had smallest hook on spike. But managed get 4 of them. It is my first time to caught the smelt! :yes: Somehow, all smelts was gone in matter of seconds. I realized that there is bigger fish around so I used smelts as bait, boom boom boom, three smallmouth bass in row before I lost my fourth smelt. This is my first time to caught them through ice again! 8) Then at 7am, switched to trout program, lost 4 of them right before hit the ice. One trout was close to ice and it was around 25 incher, however, it kept screaming my reel for couple of times then somehow, my reel was disassemble down and cause the broke line! :@ If one of you guys found a laker with a hook on it, it is probably mine. :lol: Lucky, I have another extra rod/reel on me, next cast, I caught 18incher laker! First time through on ice!

:beer: :beer: :beer: for me to finally to able cross off my mini fishing bucket list for smelts, smallmouth bass, and trout through ice.

DF thats great. You were at Canadice I take it. Were you fishing in front of the launch or doen the lake more. I was there the other night and did well on the smelt. The smelt were biting down deep. They were all over the light but they were not hungry.

fisherman first off ROCK ON :yes:

a trick for smeltos is size 18-20 fly hook and pinch a small black splitshot by the eye of hook.

tip with ONE maggot and I use a small float.

JUST LIFT THE LINE SMOOTHLY IN ONE SMOOTH MOTION WHEN SETTING HOOK.

up and out... the unlucky smelt will usually just fall off the hook.

when you get good you can use 2 rods and fill a bucket in no time..

haven seen smelt yet but should in a week or 2.. rock on

bloodshot - Yeah those four smelts was caught bottom of lake. unsure what FOW is. but I assume it was between 25-50 feet deep. Since this lake seem smaller than I was originally thought when I saw the map from google to tell me graph for depth of lake.

This is probably my small mistake. that might be huge deal but maybe it is not big deal. Anyway, I was fishing right out of north boat launch and walk straight to left. probably walk down around 50 feet down or so. then work it up to north. I moved 15 feet away from each hole I made. End up where another person arrive at same spot where I was still fishing at. then that person caught two lakers before I decide to switch the laker program.

slimyfish - Yeah! I was wicked exciting when caught one! Now, I'm working on rainbow because I never caught one in my lifetime. Maybe it will be another cool post if i caught one.. :lol:8)

Also, I am no expert on fly fishing stuff but still hang on the learning curve. Anyway, have any idea on how can I tell the 18-20 fly hook? Since small hook seems like same to me. so any ideas?

Glad you hooked up Deaf fisherman.You might want to get a little beefer rod and line for the trout.Them Lakers have some fight to them.I use 6 or 8lb. test line for them and a little heavier rod.If your going to keep fish a good gaff is a good investment.

DF you can pick up some fly hooks at gander Mtn, it will say on pack the size. You will spend about 6.00 bucks on 25 hooks. I also use one rod with size 18 hooks and one rod with the tiny marmooska jigs. Those tiny hooks take some time to get use to but he is rite the smelt just fall off most of the time or if you just pinch them behind the gill plate the mouth opens up and the hook comes rite out. I use a 30 inch mml rod with 8 pound fire line and a 8 pound floro leader for the lakers. Place a good bearing swivel at the end of the fire line and a 18-20 inch floro leader to lure. You can feel those lakers in 80 FOW on bottom like they are in 10 FOW when they hit and you get a great hook set. The rainbows have been traveling a few feet under the ice for me. I have been fishing the little points that stick out and placing tip ups in 10-50 FOW and most of my fish are coming in close. Hope this helps buddy and still hope we can meet up and fish soon. Good luck and good fishing.

Sean Youngblood - Yeah, I realized that since I was using 3 pound line. :lol: sound idiotic to targeting them. But hey, it is so fun to have longer battle with them if you can keep them on line. But yeah, this is my mistake. I was using two heavy action rods with 3 pounds line for smelts however, I am still using them as bass/pike on ice fishing. Trout is add up on that list. :P I might using 10 pounds line for them when I have the chance to go out again.

Also, I saw couple fisherman has gaff but I always grew up hating using the gaff. After saw many people using gaff to catch many fish that are small then released back into water with hole dotted on their bodies. :@

But it is still good advice for anyone who want keep trout for dinner. Thanks. :yes:

I am more of catch and release fisherman. or you can say, doing the CPR until I feel I want to have the dinner then I'll kept one or two.

bloodshot - Yeah, this is what I planned to do sometimes this week since I live 2-3 minutes away from Gander MTN. Hopefully, I can find some hooks like you told me. I'm definitely knowing that I am hooked on smelts fishing but that first day of smelts fishing, already made me doubting about it. But after lifetime of fishing experience, I knew it is part of fishing game! :lol: there are up and down days of fishing. I cannot complain about it since it is my first time.

Targeting on trout program, I learned lot things from simply watch them after them on jigging and tipups on same time. I will attempt go after them again this Saturday if it is possible for me to get out of work on that day.

From what I saw, most of them line up 5 tipups on from nearby shore to 80 FOW but everyone was put out line between 10-20 FOW each tipup. then pick a hole to jigging for them. They was using fathead or perch shiners to after them. I wondering if few smelts on tipups will be working? :lipssealed: if it is effective. This method that I might will try them out.

Anyway, when are you being available to go out again? I might be available on Tuesday-Thursday night. If it is, just PM me to met you at there. I will let you know if I could go or not.

gander mt has the hooks in fly section or as I say flea section...

sz 18 or even 20 are what i find success with

most important is the smooth lift when smelto polo bites..

up and out.

lets talk about cooking them.

my fav.. cut head and sqweeze out guts... dip in egg and crushed pringles..

fry in wesson oil..

tasty little mysterious dish I call..

el smelto polo pringlelicious...

slimyfish - haha! I never tried taste smelts before. until I told my parent about that story that happened at yesterday and my parent said they was delicious so I might try one. Your recipe sound good! :yes:

I guess I have to go out again sometimes this week to attempt catch smelts. Hopefully it will be good like everyone who targeting them.

I will let you know if I like it or not. :lol:

Hey slimyfish, cheetoes has a new flavor out called jalepino and cheddar crunchy cheeze doodles. They have the right amount of spice. I take em and put em in a blender and make a fine crumb out of em and add a breading called "House Autry" seafood breader. You can get it at tops. Mix both breadings half and half and shake fish in gallon zip lock and let sit for 5 mins, and fry at 375 untill golden brown :clap: You dont need any egg just the breading. The House Autry is formulated to stick. This is a unreal and delicious recipe that I discovered one day when I ran out of breading. Goes great with a ice cold COORS LIGHT :yes: