Smelts!!!

Deaf Fisherman

I went fishing with bloodshot. After he explained me how to catch them and where they are at fow out 25 fow.

After couple of minutes of waiting, on my 20 minutes, boom, first smelt! I got excite for it. I learned how to pull rod lightly when smelt hit. Since I was used to have "monster hit" and pulled rod hard to get good hook on fish. Next hour, my line was off hook! but only managed 5 smelts because I fumbled them all just right out of water then they fell off back into water! :@ bloodshot comes up to check on me to make sure I have right hook/bait for smelts. He already caught tons of them. Suddenly, my action was just beginning! for last 30 minutes, managed to keep another 25 smelts! :yes:

Most fun part was caught 3 smelts on 3 hooks for four times in row! 8) Right now, they are storage in my freezer until I get all things for recipe from bloodshot and slimyfish.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early because accident spilled whole spikes box into hole but managed get plastic box back with only 3 spikes left. :lol: I used it all then left. This is not bad for only two hours of fishing!

This is wicked addict smelt fishing! They are continue hitting spikes everytime I dropped a line. It is little hard to feel them to hit a line but it was great!

Thanks bloodshot, you really help me out. :yes: We gotta go out there again! Keep contact me about when you want to go out again since I might willing to go. Also, hows did you do?

p.s. slimyfish, Thanks for advice on 18 size hooks! It is really work! :yes:

Df I managed around 250. I stayed until 11:30. I did not know you spilled ur bait, you could of used mine. I cant believe you stayed out there with what you had on, you had to be freezing ;( next time I will bring my 4 man tent and you can come inside. It was real nice to meet you and I look forward to fishing with ya again. Maybe we can try to jig up some of them lakers. Were do you live, I am in hamlin. I will talk to ya later bud :yes:

DF, SORRY I JUST SAW YOUR POST THAT YOU WERE COMIN OUT TONIGHT. GOOD THING YOU FOUND ME. DONT KNOW IF YOU CLEANED THEM YET BUT THERE IS A GREAT VIDEO ON U TUBE HOW TO DO IT. I CUT THE HEAD OFF WITH SCISSORS JUST BEHIND GILL PLATE AND CUT DOWN BELLY AND RINSE THE GUTS OUT IN SINK, RUN YOUR THUMB DOWN THE BACKBONE WHEN UR DOING IT, THAT GETS ALL GUTS OUT. THATS IT, THATS ALL YOU DO. PUT IN A ZIPLOCK WITH UR BREADING AND SHAKE, FRY AT 375 UNTIL GOLDEN. THEY ARE UNREAL!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I did have hut with me but I discovered that I had two broken sticks so I can't set up hut. I have 4 man hut. :no: But I need to find the replaces. I don't know when I can do that.

Yeah, it is totally freezing but lucky me, I always prepared for it. I had two sweatshirt under my big black jacket along with short under the two sweatpants. That's probably explain why I look like huge person out there. :rofl::lol: Plus, I have that hand warmer packets.

Also, I live in Rochester. Yeah, I would love to jigging for lakers! :yes: I already have smelts and lakers fever now. Only thinking when I can go out again from work and college. :yes:

This week is week 9th. Since my school have quarter system, not semester. Therefore, it will be busy until end of February. :no: But I was hoping to go out again this Thursday night. Then on Saturday, I'm inviting couple of my friends that had no inexperience of ice fishing for trout. :yes:

LETS ALL GET TOGETHER, WOULD BE FUN. I MAY GO SATURDAY LATE DAY AND STAY INTO NIGHT FOR SOME MORE OF THEM YUMMY SMELT. MARK I WILL LET YOU KNOW WITH PM. GONNA BE COLD THIS WEEK HOPE LAUNCH FREEZES BACK UP. THAT SPOT BECOMES VERY TRICKY PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. OK GOOD FISHING BACK OUT TO BARN TO MAKE MORE TIP DOWNS!!!! LOTS SOLD THIS YEAR, I LOVE SEEING THEM ON THE ICE AND THE GUYS CATCHING FISH :clap:

Oh yeah, fishing is little slow but if we found right spot, it will be hot day of fishing for everyone. Hopefully, in the end of day, we will get elbow injury. :lol: It is sign of good fishing.. :rofl:

We should get together on this Saturday evening, so we can jigging for lakers for couple hours. when it is get dark, we can go smelt fishing!

It should be fun!

Who want to go there?

slimyfish - Yeah, I am finally get hang of it on light pull up and reel it up. Its hard not to pull it hard.. :P after fishing couple of times, I think I'll be fine. Hopefully, this Saturday will determine the results. :yes:

keep look my next post! :lol:8)

p.s. i didnt use any kind of bobber or foams. I just like two hook rig on straight line. Its worked well for me.

Oh yeah, it is beautiful natural scenery, it is hard to focus into fishing. I only went there three time so far. I havent moved to new place (new holes) on where I am fishing lately. Biting are hot right now but slow fishing.

Alot of hit and miss on lakers. :headbang: But on smelts fishing, oh boy, they are food machine! They cannot stop biting! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...