Copper line electric charge?

I'm rigging some copper rods for the first time this coming season and reading up on the technique.

Sure seems to work well with lots of dedicated proponents. I read a piece about copper lines being electrically charged and how shorter leaders might take advantage of this property.

I have no experience with copper so I thought I'd ask the pros. Any measurable charge to the line while trolling? Anyone using 10-15 fot leaders versus leadcore style 50 foot leaders to get lures closer to the attractive line?

How does one measure the charge of the copper while trolling anyway?

Thanks to any piscatorial scientists at liberty to reply.

Jarrett

I suppose any metal moving through water has an electrical charge associated with it. However, a little birdy told me a Tall Tail one time about shorter copper leaders ;) . THEY WORK! I believe they work because the shorter leader prevents the bait from riding up higher in the water column thereby negating the "depth" achieved by that particular copper set up.

It's been awhile since I did my homework on the electrical charge question, but it was more related to downriggers.

At the time I had an aluminum boat and I was thinking about putting a black box on my boat, but essentially talked myself out of it. But I did check the electrical charge of my rigger wires. I did this about 6 years and I had manual Proos riggers, an all aluminum designed rigger.

I hope I remember right, you preform the test with a voltage meter. Basically you have to have all electronics off on the boat, maybe even disconnect the positive battery terminal, and you touch one probe to your Negative on the battery, ,and the other to the downrigger cable. Any voltage read is stray voltage. I would think you could perform the same test on the copper if you wanted to experiment on a slow day. Would be interesting to see the results.

Check the internet on how to do the test as I'm going on memory for the procedure. Perhaps some one else on here has tested it on their boat.

I've usually ran 50' leads on both my lead core and copper lines. After some good shared info above I think that will be changed for this season. Thanks for sharing Guys.