Tip down advise

Sean Youngblood

Thats a nice change. When I sell a set to someone I always tell them, make sure the drag is set. My biggest fish on a tip down ever was a 24 pound KING SALMON, yes a king out of the mouth of sandy creek. I snagged her in the eye with the little #6 arberdeen hook and it fought me for 35 minutes on #6 pound. The fish was a female that looked like she couldnt get rid of her eggs. She had some white growth like she had been there since fall. I thought I had the biggest steelie I had ever seen!!!

24lb king that must have been a handful.I thought I had a walleye it didn't really make runs it just wanted to stay down. Lots of of pike bait sized perch out there.I am going to do a Perch Pike day instead of a Smelt Laker day.

Bloodshot ice derby going on tomorrow.lots of gills on south end out of Macks and the boat launch.I here pike fishing has been a little slow.Lots of small perch out deep,big perch have been hard to come by the last 3 years.Good luck

Jimski2 I have a set of them and hate them!! The reels are so small and the line gets caught between the reel and the frame all the time. They are heavy and when the wind blows the rod will come off the base. You whant to buy mine, they are the orange set. Got them two years ago fished three or for times with them.

Last year at the Cuba Lake Ice Fishing Contests, they took all the prizes except the Northern Pike.

You must use 4# test, a light split shot and a minnow hooked behind the the dorsal fin to keep it swimming in distress. Set the depth with a clip on sinker, remove it and drop it backdown. So far this year they have also taken Northerns, a norlunge and a 5# walleye.

Any contraption with that rig hanging below the ice would have caught them same fish. Dont get me wrong they look great and are a great idea, and the way they pack up is great too. But when it comes to fishing deep water and cold conditions on windy days they do not perform. I rigged mine with #8 so the line will not slip between the reel and frame and use a #4 pound leader. But they sit on my shelf. Its a pain in the can when you have to stop and remove the reel and get the tangle out. They put alot of thought into them and have a great idea but some things are just not user friendly. Just my 2 cents. Mine are still for sale.