Flys on Finger Lakes ?

I am not at all new to fishing Lake O for salmon and running the fly program. But on the finger lakes? Dont ya go a little fast to get the flys kicking. Always thoughty lakers wanted a slow presentation. I have put a A-TOM-MIK and a spin doc out in my spread while fishing lakers but always figured I was going way to slow. What about dipseys, wire or braid,copper. The whole salmon spread.

2.5 to 2.7 works fine with lakers as does all the salmon rigs i just dont run wire or dypsy as lakers can usually be caught with min. effort (they ant to smart or fussy)usually the presentation determins speed (cowbells,flutter spoons,ect.) they dont wait for the school of slow bait to swim by,another misconseption is people fish deep for lakers all the time, they come outa temp to eat more than a lot of guys realize thats the beauty of learing you stumble onto something that others say dont work ..you find a deep pocket at low tide in saltwater you better be ready for some of the fastest catch rates you ever had ,and the locals quite fishing at low tide i head out as they head in no pressure and heavy consentrations of fish (in the pockets) yuo do the math...

My best laker rig is the wire dipsy with a flasher and fly. Just like usin em for kings. 18 to 22 in leader from the flasher to the fly and about a 9 ft leader from the dipsy. 2.7 is a good speed.

I usually run my riggers up higher for trout and salmon but with small spoons or 4 inch dodgers and peanut flies.

Thats what I am runnig right now and I'm spankin em!

RR

is that a trick question i said i dont run em heck a tripped dypsy with a spinny gives ya more of a fight than most lakers but i always have a green dodger,e chip or ,spin dctr 4ft behind the ball. at 86ish ft when in laker mode same as RR 22"ish also the same on the small spoon program up high or right in the middle of the bait balls looks like a woonded minner leaving the pod

Personally, I've never taken a laker on a flasher/fly, but that hasn't stopped me from trying! I'll always have a green/green crinkle or a white/white out, but I use full size off the riggers, and haven't taken much off the riggers ever, so I've just started to use a dipsie with a smaller greeen spindoctor/fly, but even that hasn't produced yet. Maybe smaller, like RR is using, and higher up, is the way to go...

RR - what lake are you runninng out of? I've been out on Seneca only a few times this year, but they've been spanking me! I think the concensus from a lot of guys is that this year is a lot slower than most, for whatever reason....

I use the full size 8 inch dodgers. I use the pro trols and spin Dr's too. I use the 4 inchers up high for the LL's.

wire dipsy set on 3 out 240 to 280 over 80 to 100 ft of water. Close to bottom. Its slammin. White on white is good but I use white or Trash can with an irredescent fly, it kind of looks purpleish in the water.

Once the thermo sets up around 60 to 70 ft, then I fish the deep water 250 to 350. Wires out 260 to 300. Thats when it gets really good.

I'm fishing Cayuga.

RR

i may have to offer up some more money to the fishing gods and invest in some wire, as it seems many like that rig. Right now we're running PP/braids on different sized dipsies on all the settings.

We did take Ray's advice and use a smaller spoon (watermelon) on a #3 setting up higher, and that took our only fish the last time out, but 1 fish in 5 hours just ain't cuttin' it...

Usually can hold my own with dodger/fly rigs off dipsey divers but so far this year it's been a predominantly spoon bite for me. I have not run any flashers yet but am going to get some Spin Doc's or Pro Trolls ... soon :)

goin hungry - you may wish to make the jump to wire soon, the spiny water fleas will gum up the power pro pretty bad :evil: :evil:

We've been taking a lot more decent sized landlocks and browns this year off the spoon program run above the dipsy divers. R&R spoons in any combination of black, blue & purple on a silver cup has been pretty hot.

DAN

I've been doing some trolling but I don't know where you guys are finding the rainbows! Maybe my colors aren't bright enough? I hear they like hot colors.

I keep catching lots and lots of 15-18" LL's with the occasional larger fish thrown in. Last week a 24" and 28" LL. Couple chubby short 3 lb browns but that's it for trout.

I don't have any flashers except one of those 4"ers, all spoons behind a dipsey. I'm not running anything below 30-40 feet when trolling. Partly out of necessity (no gear), partly b/c I jig for my lakers. Overall I've had a great couple weeks, this is my first year trolling and it's starting to click!

Hermit - bro the two 'bows we caught today were the 1st two I've ever caught on the lake so don't feel bad. Back in the late '80's it was nothing to catch a couple of big 'bows outta the trib's but I think the rainbow fishery isn't anywhere's close to what it once was.

They both came on silver & purple spoons today, not what you would call a "hot" color by any means.

DAN

irish i ant no bow expert but ive heard they school togeather and have favorite spot in the lake at diff times of the year ya might make a mental note oh heck just spill your guts where are they , the bigger alpena diamond yellow should be a good spoon in that spot bump if up to 3 mph also

Well if ya read my post from today's outing you'd know where they were, I've fished that area countless times over the years and this is the first 'bow I've caught so I wouldn't qualify myself as an expert.

Alpeena what?????? Must be old school :lol::lol:

DAN

Hey Dan thanks, I know there aren't many around but from your and RR reports you guys are getting lucky! (Bows) That's cool. But like you said just before, I'm not complaining about the salmon either! For my first year I'm pretty happy.

Ray- gotta say thanks, a purple (grape!) / silver is one I run most morning thanks to your advice, replaced the treble with a red one, makes it kinda sexy. Other colors, green, silver spoons, ran brass one morning with good results.

I'm gonna have to figure out how to troll down to 50+ though if the fleas are starting to get bad I dunno I may wait.