10 color, 5 color?

raider44

The five color, three color , etc. rigs need line to run them off inline planer boards. the shorter lead core lines have to be sent out from the side of the boat to be more effective. A cheaper method is just rubber band an in line sinker to your lines. Rip it off when it reaches your pole tip.

I've been fishing lead core for over forty years and five colors = 150 feet and at walleye speed that equates to one to five.or 30 feet down...That is running straight off the rod...If you run off planer boards...at least one color ( 30 feet ) will be used to the board .......better have good backing..Use a willis knot to splice....it will pass through the leveler on your reel...Gander Mountain and Cabelas carry 200 yard spools of lead core....Much cheaper than buying two 100 yard spools .....Leave the 100 on your reels...I like 7 colors .210 feet ........that will get you to 42---45 feet....Canadarago (Schuyler) Lake is full of Walleyes with a max depth of 42 feet and 7 colors will bump the bottom...Rapalas stick baits will run 3-5 feet deeper

• 2 weeks later...

We found that after 4 colors of leadcore the presentation has been maxed out and there are more efficient methods of achieving depth.

We only use 4 colors of leadcore on the boat, then we use Torpedo Divers for precision to get baits to any depth. Our leadcore rods do double duty instead of being stuck at one depth.

It didn't make sense to us to spend over $350 on a dedicated 10 color leadcore rod setup and then be stuck at one depth when most times the fish are at different depths.

We found that after 4 colors of leadcore the presentation has been maxed out and there are more efficient methods of achieving depth.

We only use 4 colors of leadcore on the boat, then we use Torpedo Divers for precision to get baits to any depth. Our leadcore rods do double duty instead of being stuck at one depth.

It didn't make sense to us to spend over $350 on a dedicated 10 color leadcore rod setup and then be stuck at one depth when most times the fish are at different depths.

So....you're saying a 4 color leadcore achieves the same depth as a 10 color????

So....you're saying a 4 color leadcore achieves the same depth as a 10 color????

If I may so bold as to speak for Mathew. He is saying you get the hypnotic or dancing action of the line when you use 4 colors. You do not get the same depth as 10 but after deploying the 4 colors you add the torpedo diver for depth control to take it down to 35 40 50 or 60 feet. I have fished with Mathew and have now done the same on my boat. No need to have to reel in a 10 color widow maker.

and of course this wasn't just a free promotional spot/advertisement for Matthew's products (torpedo divers) masquerading as a tip :o

Tim

NO IT WAS NOT.

I am a friend of Matt yes but that was a tip that works for me and has put fish in the boat. I do not get sponsored paid or anything from Matt. I do not need to promote his product other than it is another tool in my fishing asenal that has worked for me.

and of course this wasn't just a free promotional spot/advertisement for Matthew's products (torpedo divers) masquerading as a tip :o

Tim

What I was saying is that using anymore then 4 colors of leadcore is old school and is not necessary. Yes we manufacture the Torpedo Divers so that is my product of choice to achieve depth control. There are other methods of getting your leadcore deeper so use your method of choice.

What methods do you use to get your leadcore to 50', 100' or even 150' depths? Please share info as we am always willing to learn more efficient methods of improving my spread.

Tim

What I was saying is that using anymore then 4 colors of leadcore is old school and is not necessary. Yes we manufacture the Torpedo Divers so that is my product of choice to achieve depth control. There are other methods of getting your leadcore deeper so use your method of choice.

What methods do you use to get your leadcore to 50', 100' or even 150' depths? Please share info as we am always willing to learn more efficient methods of improving my spread.

I thought that was why God created COPPER! :o:lol:

Put a 12 ounce Gibbs Weight on the Lead Core after putting out the first full color,then put out more Lead Core untill you reach bottom then reel back up 1/2 a color.Gibbs Weight will slide down the Lead Core to the swivel at the leader after fish gets on.Have used this for both Muskies & Walleye.

Capt. Larry D. Jones