rod questions

wanted some more input on some rods if any of you guys have a minute...

was looking to get something in the heavy/xheavy power preferably in the 8-8'6 range, ive already got a stcorix premier 8'mh and a 6'6mh so i want something with some more backbone to it...thats my first question what action should i go with? Im going to be using it for throwing heavier plastics and lures and occasionaly big live bait and trolling, so something universal. so far ive narrowed it down to okuma 8'6 H, st. croix mojo musky 8ft H, pete maina's 8'6 xh, or those new black river musky rods in either the 8ft H or 8'6 xh...all pretty reasonably priced I dont want to go much more expensive than the mojo musky which is 150.

im almost leaning towards the mojo musky just bc A.) im happy with my other st croix rods and B.) theyre american made but I am intrigued by those new black river rods and the okuma rods ive read good things so far

any help would be good im quite indecisive about this and honestly I feel like im trying to buy a house with how much im looking into it haha, thanks guys

I am not too sure that those MOJO's are USA built. Can't go wrong w/ any of those. Check out Bluegrass Musky rods also. Crash Mullins just came out w/ them and have heard nothing but good things.

Ronix 51, If your going to cast bulldawg pounders,yes you would be better off with an XH rod. But if your going to mostly cast Mag Dawgs or Double Cowgirls etc. the Hvy will work fine.The St.Croix Premier 8'-6" Hvy rod even though it is marked Fast has a stiffer tip then the 9' Okuma Rod.There are a few fishermen from the NMA using the Legend Tournament 8'-6" Hvy rods for big Red October tubes and Storm Fireye Swim Shad, both with heavy weight,those rods are only in Hvy.I would go to the Bass Pro store in Auburn and pick one up and hold it in hand,if they have one there.

St.Croix will be at the World Fishing Show in Sufren,NY,they are at the Spring Fishing & Boat Show by the Toronto Airport now.Jim Saric & Pete Mania are both talking there this Sunday & Monday as well,plus lots of muskie tackle and some killer crankbaits from basement guy's there as well.

Capt. Larry

well I have decided I am going to go with the st. croix premier...i love the ones I have already so i figure ill stay with what I know works well...I actually just got back from BP and they had zero for muskie rods...just petes BP series and those were all MH...im just tyring to decide between the H or the XH now but im leaning towards the XH just in case I do start to buy some bigger baits that are over 6 oz...just got a storm thunderbeast in the 11oz size so im thinkin XH would be the best choice right?

Be sure to purchase a small bottle of U-40 Cork Seal at Bass Pro or a fly fishing shop.Coat the cork handle on your New St. Croix Premier rod to seal up the cork to keep it clean and looking new for years. Your other rods use 30% chlorine & water to clean up the cork handles then seal them as well after they have dried.

Sign Up for the Chautauqua Musky Cash Tourney and I'll give you a Black St. Croix Priority Fishing Hat valued at $20 to go with your rod. I'm a Factory Representaive for St. Croix Rod Co. here in NY State!

Capt. Larry

Ronix, By fishing the Chautauqua Musky Cash Tournament you would be helping NY State's Musklie Stocking Program at Prendergast Hatchery.You will also get to meet other muskie fishermen,hear information on what was their successful lure options,see locations on the water where they are fishing that you would not know on your own and have fun doing it all!

Capt. Larry