Navco ap

lakebound88

hey guys, i got some info on my navco autopilot the other day in my boat. The guy who used to own it said it needed the gps sensor, or compass unit. I was wiring the new electronics today and noticed he was right, now my question is, does the NMEA from the Fishfinder/gps, will that work the same way? The wiring panel on the navco unit has NMEA, COM and DATA connections. How can i tell which Wire is DATA and COM? or am I just P1$$in in the wind here?

Thanks Guys, NICK

Awesome, thanks stevie tangles...Any idea how to figure out which wire is which? Also, i read into the Navico unit, and it stated that it will not turn on, unless it has gps signal. Which stinks because i dont know if it even works! the unit looks to be in great condition. so i am hoping it all works well

I think you will still need the gyro compass for full function. I have a Lowrance GPS hooked to a Simrad AP12 (same as my old Navico) If I remember correctly black is common (com) and I think data out of the Lowrance is yellow (maybe white) It should be in the Lowrance manual. You can probably still get a gyro compass from Simrad, I don't think they changed them when the name changed, If you can't figure it out by spring I can help when the boat comes out of storage.

Don't know if this will help but to connect my lowrance unit to my simrad simnet system for a AP2401, I cut the lowrance cable and a simnet cable and soldered them together. The only difference was the white wire connected to the yellow wire. I do however power my GPS puck from the NMEA bar. The only information I could find on wiring the units together was from blogs on the internet. Most company service reps do not have any idea about wiring their units to other systems and it seems everyone has a different NMEA configured plug. I dread the day I have to replace my GPS unit and have to build new cables again.

High Bidder

Lakebound88

If you Google your dilema there is alot of info. I cut the following from the Lowrance sight/ downloads/manuals globalmap 5200c.

You want yellow (transmit),from gps to data in on autopilot. shield to ground (common to auto pilot ground)

NMEA Wiring

(Data cable)

To exchange NMEA 0183, the GlobalMap has one NMEA 0183 version

2.0 communication port. Com port one (Com-1) can be used to receive

NMEA format GPS data. The com port can also transmit NMEA format

GPS data to another device.

The four wires for the com port are combined with the Power Supply

cable and NMEA-2000 Power cable to form the power/data cable

(shown earlier). Com-1 uses the yellow wire to transmit, the orange

wire to receive and the shield wire for signal ground. Your unit does

not use the blue wire.

Com-1 wiring to receive NMEA position information from some other

GPS receiver

Com-1 wiring to transmit NMEA position information

to another NMEA-compatible device.

Ground

To Other

Device

Com-1

To GlobalMap

5200c

Yellow (Transmit) NMEA Receive

Shield (Ground)

Orange (Receive) NMEA Transmit

Shield (Ground) Ground

Com-1

To GlobalMap

5200c

To Other

GPS Receiver

• 1 month later...

We have a ap14r wired to a hd8 lowrance, last year I posted with photos and wiring description on how to wire the nmea signal. If you cant find the post I can peek under them helm and get the wiring colors. Problem is I'm rarely on line right now... You will absolutely love having the gps drive the AP

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png