Passing of Tom Jolliff, NYSDEC Fishery Biologist

Jolly 1

My brother Tom Jolliff, died suddenly and unexpectedly on Monday evening February 14th at his home in Cape Vincent. Tom was 76 years old.

I’m sure some of you may have known Tom, especially if you’ve been fishing Lake Ontario since the fishery began in the late 1960s when Tom and Bill Pierce started the Lake Ontario salmon program. 23 of his last 30 years with NYSDEC were devoted to Lake Ontario. He retired about 20 years ago but Lake Ontario was still his first passion spending many hours in the spring, summer and fall for trout and salmon and the winter for perch through the ice. Through his efforts with the Jefferson County Fishery Advisory Board, he argued for and was able to exempt the 50 perch limit for yellow perch in Jefferson County. The only county bordering Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and tributaries without a creel limit for perch.

An avid fisherman from our very youngest years growing up in Dansville, NY right to the end when just a week before he died, went ice fishing on Chaumont Bay for perch.

An avid bow hunter, wood cutter and gardener with weekly rounds of golf thrown in during the summer.

His many friends and family will miss him dearly but will never forget him. Especially my son Chris Jolliff, known on this forum as Jolly II, who will always have a special place in his heart for Uncle Tom.

For additional information: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/arti ... 62/-1/obit

Bill Jolliff, aka Jolly 1

Sorry for your loss, we all appreciate his dedication to this fishery. It's nice to see that he was able to share his passion with family and friends and enjoy the great fishery he helped create. Rest In Peace

Larry

I had the pleasure of getting to know Tom back in the early 90's when a few of us fought tooth and nail to prevent even deeper Chinook stocking cuts than what finally occured. His knowledge and dedication lead to an extensive document which he prepared for us to assist us in our fight. He provided the science behind our on the water observations, both of which dispelled everything we were being told. I developed the deepest respect for him, as he had to speak out against former colleagues knowing in his heart that Pacific Salmon in great numbers were the solution and not the problem.

Jolly I and Jolly II, I am very sorry for your loss. He was a great man.

Bill and Chris, Sorry for your loss..... Every single time I fished with Chris he would share many stories of his Uncle Tom wether it was his extensive research on lampreys or salmon or his journeys as a hunter or a fisherman. I never met the man but from Chris's stories I felt as if I had...... Chris if there is anything that I can do please feel free to call....... Dale

Thanks guys for all the kind words and thoughts. We will miss him dearly, and he is always in my thoughts, and thinking of him a lot, especially as I study for an upcoming captain's test, and prepare my boat for the 2011 fishing season.

Tom and Dad have had a tremendous amount of influence in my life. From a very young age I was on the boat fishing for trout and salmon in any weather. And in those days they were pretty tough guys. I learned the ropes quickly, as well crucial biological lessons because of the time that Tom and my father spent with me. I'm going to miss all the off-the-wall schemes he got us into fishing, bowhunting, and rabbit hunting. I think of them still now and chuckle to myself.

We'll remember the man, and celebrate his life. His legacy will live on for a very long time, as I will always be telling stories about him, and pass on all the biology that goes into our world class fishery.

Thanks Uncle Tom.

Now.. I just need to figure out how he grew football sized sweet potatoes.

Chris AKA Jolly II