Saltist Linecounter reels

High Bidder

I went to Cabelas yesterday and purchased a Saltist linecounter. They were on sale and I had a coupon for 40 bucks off that. After returning home I searched this site and found that there are some concerns about the linecounter hitting your arm. So basically I'm asking if anyone has used them and is this a real concern? I did rig it up but I couldn't get anyone to hold the line while I reeled them in for a test. It sure is a smooth reel and I like the idea of a fast retrieve.

High Bidder

Yup....they can get your left arm a little. I don't think it's a big deal though. The fast gears on the 30s are sweet for taking up the slack on slide cheater bites. Not to mention if you put wire on them for your dipsey diver rigs. The drags are real smooth also. IMO they blow tekotas away.

I guess they could put the counter in a better place, however I think you made a great investment.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

If you really hate the LC, I'll take the reel...for not too much less than you paid :D

You'll love it. Until I read about the LC issue I never thought twice about it. And we ran these as our primary rigger reels all last year. I wish we had a dozen more. I 2nd the comment about the drag, too. Nice wide dynamic range for incremental adjustments.

I love this complaint about the line-counter placement on these reels! How popular are the Tekotas, and has ANYONE ever complained about the line-counter being on the left side of the reel? The minute Daiwa put it over there, and they did it becasue of the high speed gear ratio, people started complaining about it. Billy isn't a fan of it, and to be honest I would rather see it back on the other side. However, I let that line-counter lay right across my wrist and it makes for a great leverage point. If that's your worst attribute of the reel and you can't live with it you already have people lined up to buy it, but I think the pros will out weight the cons on this reel.

Another cool test between these two reels is to hold them without a rod and spin the handles. The Tekota will wobble where the balance of the Saltist is great. Don't get me wrong....either reel is an amazing upgrade from whatever you were using before!

The Tekota 800lc I have is bigger than the saltist that I have used, therefore the lc is not in the way of my wrist. BTW Rick, I don't have as much meat on my wrist as you and Matty Ice does. :rofl:

My meat is dwindling....less 25 right now since my summer weight.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Another option for the true haters of the line-counter on the Saltist would be the Sealine LCX. Same build as the Sealine with the Saltist drag. You wont get the HS retrieval rate, but it's another option Daiwa has. I picked up a few for the LOTSA show becasue I know many people haven't ever seen one in person. So stop on by our booth!

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=505

I won't own a Takota or Saltist LC for this reason alone I know they are great reels but I hold my rod in my left hand and it hits my forearm. I started to migrate my trusy LC's & LCA's over to LCX's last season and they are awesome, big power handles (same ones as Saltist) and as Yankee said same drags as Saltist. The LCX are great.