seneca perch and landlocks

You pick them up on the sliders when you get to close to the drop at Cauga all year around. I for one am glad for all the reports. Last summer when I was recovering from surgary they gave me something to read. And they made you feel like you were still out there. Thanks for that. :clap:

You pick them up on the sliders when you get to close to the drop at Cauga all year around. I for one am glad for all the reports. Last summer when I was recovering from surgary they gave me something to read. And they made you feel like you were still out there. Thanks for that. :clap:

Yeah, I'm with ya Big Dave...and I am out here trolling the highways for dollars and I must be a sicko for lurk....uhhhh look ing at this forum 5 or 6 times a day. This forum is the best entertainment I can get besides checking seat covers in four wheelers and licking my hub caps :puke:... Tastes like salt and gravel.....I'd much rather lick windows here, and drool over you guys fishing reports ....like all the way from here in Oklahoma City. :P:o:rofl:

Mark

so i missed this whole post just skimming through.....................so wats the down speed for trollin for pearch?

2.2 on my moore at 85' down and 20' back......

2008ontario192.jpg

my ole stand by dodger/peanut this had a twist with a peanut fly behind the peanut............

2008ontario186-1.jpg

:yes:

15.5" didn't put it on the scale made pro-mans lobster out of it........mmmMMmmm.....good

Ed lets get out sometime soon! :yes:

Chris, im dying for you to show me some of those 'spots', I can show you some things over here in the Elmira area. :clap:

Oh no, not the ill show you mine if you show me yours thing! :lol:

I would luv to but need to get upgrades done on boat.................give me a shout after the 15th of April around the 20th or so I have the camp open and be ready to have at them for sure !!!!!

Wow that got pretty intense there for a while. :o I'd hate to see this site go down over a perch question. :lol:

I learn alot from this site and people on it. I do my best to participate on things I do know. I have even gone as far as posting thank you's.

This site is like many things in life you only get back what you put in. I see unknown people ask ?s and the answers are short. Where the more common names always get a full complete answer. It has been great meeting so many people online and face to face. :beer: Again thank you to those who do participate and I hope this turns out to be another great year. :beer::beer:

And to think I almost didn't read this post about perch. :lol:

Wow guys - looks like some ramapnt Seasonal Affective Disorder at work here.

I grew up in Ithaca and spent huge numbers of hours fishing Cayuga lake in the 70s, 80s, 90s, - unfortunately I had to relocate due to work and have only been able to get out down there a couple of times since. Fortunately I found this board and can continue to see how the fishing is evolving in the fingerlakes. It has definately changed - like 8"spinnys & flies taking big lakers - but some things - like the winter time LLs on body baits stays the same.

In my days on the fingerlakes I caught my share of fish and was always willing to share how & where, I was a founding memebr of the Cayuga Lake Charter Assoc, and spent much time and energy promoting the fishery. I ever get back I will certainly share what ever I can although it is important to note that what fish I catch will likely be because of the info I saw here .

I always found it humorous when you would here guys on the radio say 'go to the secret channel' - of course the rest of us would just hit the scan button on our radios but.....and yes nowdays they use a cellphone. While i never wanted to flaunt how i was doing I would always ( well almost ;) ) tell anyone that asked how i was doing and what I was doing it with.

I always found the greatest joy in fishing was helping others catch fish - I never thought that they would catch all the fish nor take fish away from me - i dont know how many times I gave info to the boat next to me and had them start catching fish - funny thing was I didnt stop catching fish. Its also true that just as often I would be doing fish on one thing and my buddy in the boat next to me was doing them on something different and not able to catch them on what I was running

The fact is that some folks will always post - some folks will occassionally post and some folks really wont post - thats how it is - no point in getting your shorts in a knot over it. If you are really about making fishing better you will want to continue to post this great info as you have been - thats the joy of the sport and yes sometimes it may seem a little one sided - accept that

To those of you posting - A BIG Thank You

i know im done giving out info

Just letting you guys know that after a few years of trying to unlock the key to Seneca lake Perch.......I did it. With nothing but the skill my old man taught me. A master at catching perch when the 4 other boats next to him couldnt. Believe it, I witnessed it.

A perch school in that lake is the size of a postage stamp !

hitech, ??....so are you saying you will share the info, show someone else, or just keep it to yourself and everyone will have to figure it out on their own to?

I'm not bagging on ya, just trying to figure out your post?

I am wondering what you mean with the reference to the quote in your post?

Are you in favor of sharing info. or not?

Maybe I missed something, I am getting a bit of a "fever"! (spring fever) :lol:

HOW COULD YOU BE DONE GIVING INFO WHEN YOU ONLY GOT ONE POST ?!?! :rofl:

Won't be long now Rodney :yes:

Glen, have you given up on a FLX trip at this point?

Yes Andy, I have given up.

The weather has prevented me from making it out when I had the opportunity and I will be dropping the big boat in up north in two to three weeks now.

Working OT trying to build up my gas funds now.

Glen

hitech, ??....so are you saying you will share the info, show someone else, or just keep it to yourself and everyone will have to figure it out on their own to?

I'm not bagging on ya, just trying to figure out your post?

I am wondering what you mean with the reference to the quote in your post?

Are you in favor of sharing info. or not?

Maybe I missed something, I am getting a bit of a "fever"! (spring fever) :lol:

Your not missing anything. Maybe I thought I was being funny. Sorry if it wasnt. Its been my experience that anyone who has figured it out, or the "locals", and many of the discussion boards Ive visited are all pretty tight lipped. I'm unclear why that is exactly.

I can tell you this.

I launched at Roy japs armed with fat heads and niagra's, and spikes and wax worms. couldnt find any oakleaf's. I had to work real hard to find a school of fish. I worked glass factory bay, then south towards the 2nd point from Roy's before I found fish.

If you read my post I said the "spot" was like finding a postage stamp. And I'm not kidding. There isnt a "area" that holds fish.....its literally a postage stamp. And on that stamp....the fish wanted the bait presented right.

So if you can find a fish there will be more. Cast past the fish and pull the bait to the school. And since the entire lake is surounded by a step drop off, if your in 20' of water your probably casting into 50'. The fish are going to be inbetween you and your cast.

As far as my one post. Your right. After a divorce, a couple of computers and a year or two I couldnt remember my login. Not that I ever posted all that much. Since I'm sorta a thread stalker.

But since I did finally unlock this mystery.....that doesnt seem to be a mystery at all, I thought I'd share.

I actually hope this helps someone. SInce Ive been banging my head against the side of my boat for several years.

I keep reading that the locals are tight-lipped. Is it becase the population is so small (which I doubt) or their technique and bait is the key? Not really that important to me because I fish for larger species, but it is intriguing as to why they are so hush-hush....

man im not tight lipped... i give you guys depths, speed, location, what tackle im using and how far off the ball or how back on the dypsy im fishing.....i cant make my post any more idiot proof.... :D:D:D

idiot proof.......... :( ......... ;( ........... keep me out of it will YA !!!!!!! :lol: ....... :rofl: ...................... :P

Ed has it right. those die hard perch guys fish for them commercially. If you can keep 50 2lbers at 3.50 to 4 bucks a pound, thats some decent cash. and those guys are that good. They wont tell you a thing.

in May I wail on em right off my dock, big ens jumbos slabs, but once the water temp gets up a bit, they take off and I'm left with the dinks for the rest of the summer.

I dont bother with them after i put 2 packs of fillets in the freezer anyway.

RR

Ed has it right. those die hard perch guys fish for them commercially. If you can keep 50 2lbers at 3.50 to 4 bucks a pound, thats some decent cash. and those guys are that good. They wont tell you a thing.

in May I wail on em right off my dock, big ens jumbos slabs, but once the water temp gets up a bit, they take off and I'm left with the dinks for the rest of the summer.

RR

I guy in my camp over here on Seneca fishes your pond for perch. This guys a ole timer he had the 1st trailer in the park here in the 60's is what I heard. Like you said the size dropped as the year goes on. The reg. perch guys keep tight lipper because of $$$$ guys................I always rat :lol: them out when I see a lot of trailer in the park in the middle of the week in April early May................ :P .............. :lol:

RR

Wow !! 3.5 to 4 bucks a pound !! That is some serious cash. Would that be for live weight or cleaned ??

We got a couple out of the bunch we caught that would be close to 2lbers, but damn!!