seneca perch and landlocks

Whole!!!! I was at a place that buys them from the fishermen this winter so thats this years prices. Jumbos were 4 bucks a pound. smaller ones were 3.50 and sunnies and gills were 3 bucks a pound live weight. There were loads of fish in the bins and guys coming in off the ice selling buckets full.

RR

:D I fish perch at Seneca with Triple S a few times each year, just enough to know that a limit of two-pound perch is a once in a lifetime haul...and I haven't hit the jackpot yet. It's not unreasonable to consider a limit of one-pound plus perch. I'd guess that in the past five years we've managed two or three days like that. The fishing is good sometimes, but it's hit or miss, and the usual take is more like a couple dozen fish in the 12-13 inches range. Not too many outright skunks, but some awful slow days mixed in there, too. If you're an expert on the fishery, then I guess you could make some money :thinking: I'm surprised that anyone pays $4/lb, given that those big females are mostly spawn and very thin fillets.

From what I've observed, the main reason for the tight lips is that while Seneca is a big lake, fishing is limited to around the edges for perch and everybody can see what you're up to. Once somebody hits a school, the guys start piling on. It's the same reason that folks don't name small creeks.

As for techniques, think springtime smallmouth. Little tubes, Charlies sliders, etc...my own personal best fish have come while blind casting near emergent weeds in 17-25 fow during the spawn. The biggest fish been loners rather than schoolies, too. Good luck to everyone over the next couple weeks; I have to go do some "field research" in the Bahamas. Life sucks like that sometimes. Tight lines!

• 3 months later...

Kind of bored this morning so I dug up this old post............just for kicks I clicked on replies by poster and checked there posts looking to see what info they were sharing.........made me :rofl: .......after what was said.......funny ...... :P