2011 PIKE OPENING DAY

So who's up for it?

Winter doesn't last, thank God and there is a new season coming.

Cabin fever is making us all a bit loony toons, longing for a fresh start.

First Saturday in May. Ain't so far off. Pike.

Talked to Deaf Fisherman about meeting up for some fishing and got the idea for an Esox LOU group opener for pike.

How about we all get together and have a group opener?

Pick a lake and a launch and let's do it.

Who knows, might even turn into an annual event!

Doesn't have to be anything official, just a season opener meet & greet.

Let's go fishin'!

I believe the Niagara Musky Assoc Inc. is putting together a Northern Pike Tourney for Openning Day May 1st on Conesus Lake.When I get more info I will post it here.I know they were talking some realy nice Tournament Shirts with your name on them,the tourney fished,sponcers etc. A Traveling Trophy that gets past on from winner year to year.Followed by a cook out.

I will find out more at the next NMA Meeting.

Capt. Larry

I believe and will find out for sure,that any Northern Pike Tourney by the NMA outside of the Upper Niagara River would be Catch & Release! The Upper Niagara River NMA Tourneys the Northern Pike are kept and cooked on the grill,this is done because the Northern Pike presence is taking a toll on our Musky Fry that are hatched ,by natural reprodution through spawning,they hatch after the Northern Pike and are being eaten by the Bigger Northern Pike Fry that hatched weeks earlier in colder water temps.Its not good to have to many Northern Pike in waters that you want to have PureBred Muskies to thrive in.What you end up with in waters that have both Muskies & Northern Pike and no stocking is less Muskies and more Northern Pike at times,like Georgian Bay.In Georgian Bay you can get a Jumbino Muskie,but can also go up there for two weeks straight and not even see one Muskie,but lots of Northern Pike.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

After talking with the NMA Tournament Director any Tournament on Conesus Lake will be Catch & Release Only. It would be an Esox Tournament with Winning Places for both Tiger Muskies & Northern Pike seperately.Would most likely have a Button that must be worn in the picture and someone else in the Tourney would have to sign a release form verifying legnth.Still in the talking stages,I will post here when I hear more.

Capt. Larry

Step out in the back yard with your favorite casting rod,connect a TopRaider,toss at snow bank,chug-chug-chug spitting up snow as it comes back home to you! Start casting now,even if in the living room tossing at at one of the wife's favorite pots or pans!

Then when May 1st comes she will kick you and the boat towards your favorite water.

Capt. Larry

hey ronix....why wait.Go find yourself some open water and cast for northerns!!!!Spillways and the north end of seneca off the pier are good.Check the webcam @ senaca,it`s pointed towards the pier!(@least it used to be).Hey larry...now i know how you`re able to spend so much time on the water :rofl:

sol

Big :yes: for this idea!

I thought it will be great for everyone to get out there and able to enjoy to being on the water instead lay around do something else. It is just fun and have chance to meet new people and trades some knowledges/jokes.. :lol::D

Plus, it is catch/release game, not keeper. However, I think we should contain some kind of identify card or button to verify that picture is from today catch to give some competition. ;)

I am definitely up for that event. Since it is suppose to be fun event. :yes:

Or maybe we can go one of those tournament like Capt. Larry just said on several above post on this section.

I should be down for this one. I have a big fish pattern for that time of year!! Only problem is unless I shoot my 2 turkeys really quick I won't be able to get down until after 12pm when turkey hunting ends. Last year was cool- shot a nice bird opening day and got a 41" northern 2 hours later. That was a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

The NMA is having a Northern Pike Tourney on the Niagara River on May 14th I believe.They do not want to have two northern pike tourneys so close together,so they will not have a Tourney on Conesus Lake.

So maybe we can just have an in house Tourney! Everyone toss in $10 or $20 a peice and pay out 50% for 1st Place,30% for 2nd Place and 20% for 3rd Place. Then we could cook some hotdogs after at the launch.

Capt. Larry

Yeah, or we can do something like this photo. This is just one of example that we can do this. This is Bass/pike Kayak tournament that took last fall. We was using identification card that director made so everyone will get it on the day of tournament. That way nobody will not know single look of card until that day come up. It is catch & release program. I took this on my cell phone and sent to director so director will measure it for us. Then tell us what our result of measure is. 8)

But I am highly preferred to have a measurement on the picture and take the picture on fish too. So we can have certainly measurement correctly. This is another reason why i placed second place on this kayak tournament. Another person was beat me by tiny centimeter or so. I am still doubting about it. :no: However, if we made this happen. It would be blast time for everyone who come this event. :yes:

bass_picture.jpg

Just a suggest. I thought that maybe someone like that idea. However, Button signs would work either way too. :yes:

Yeah, or we can do something like this photo. This is just one of example that we can do this. This is Bass/pike Kayak tournament that took last fall. We was using identification card that director made so everyone will get it on the day of tournament. That way nobody will not know single look of card until that day come up. It is catch & release program. I took this on my cell phone and sent to director so director will measure it for us. Then tell us what our result of measure is. 8)

But I am highly preferred to have a measurement on the picture and take the picture on fish too. So we can have certainly measurement correctly. This is another reason why I placed second place on this kayak tournament. Another person was beat me by tiny centimeter or so. I am still doubting about it. :no: However, if we made this happen. It would be blast time for everyone who come this event. :yes:

bass_picture.jpg

Just a suggest. I thought that maybe someone like that idea. However, Button signs would work either way too. :yes:

every day is a day closer to the opener! the boat arrives in the next 3 weeks and then I will most likely just sleep in it with all of my rods and boxes until opening day! im pretty sure I will have picked out about 20,000 different variations of rod and lure choices in the meantime...im assuming everyone in this post is doing conesus on saturday is everyone doing it sunday too or are there plans to venture off to other waters the following day?

also since tomorrow (st. pats day) is going to be 61 and mostly sunny (enjoy it as much as you can I will be tending bar all afternoon/evening at flahertys in honeoye falls) the ice is going to have melted a ton and has me wondering if the northern run is going to start soon?

• 2 weeks later...

about a month away! im hoping I can take a pre-opening pike/tiger day musky trip to PA but if not i will go insane waiting for the day to come...already put in an order for 2 lbs of xl shiners and 6 xl suckers to be delivered haha a little premature but maybe I can fatten 'em up for opening day