2011 PIKE OPENING DAY

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe we can do an informal one if you guys want. $5 each going towards biggest fish? I won't be disappointed if we don't do one, it will just be nice to get out fishing in NY. I say a tiger is worth an extra few points since they can be elusive this time of year. Later in the summer its no issue but in May they can be a tough nut to crack. I say add 5" to the length of a tiger for opening days big fish if you get one. So a 36" tiger would actually beat a 40" pike. Any thoughts? I already have my game plan worked out. You will see me fishing the same 300 yard stretch all day going back over it many times until the fish think its time to eat, most likely fishing the same lure all day. Super high confidence bait that got me 17 tigers and some fatty pike (40"+) last year without putting much time in. Those who know me know what lure I am talking about! That bait also rocks for big bass even though I hate getting a hit and finding out its a 5lb bass and then skipping it across the surface so I can get the damn thing off. Darn bass getting in my way! I bet a dollar I know where Solgrande will be fishing. Cpt Larry and Nitro will be there also I believe.

that sounds like a cool idea too ^. Ive never been able to get out on boat for opening day before does everyone just head to the north and south ends to get the pike still in the bays from spawning in the inlet? I would imagine thats where a ton of boats will be but ive got a few of my honey holes I plan on heading to first thing...zach I plan on enticing one of those tigers with a nice big fat sucker! let me know if youre going to want any that goes for any of you other guys too

You fish where the fish are Ronix! Always some nice ones caught early down south on live bait. Problem is their will be a dozen boats already doing it and its a really small area. Some guys anchor, some guys just drift into each other. Combat fishing.

yes and there will be fish on the south end but like you said id rather explore other areas rather than play bumper boats with the countless other boats that will be down there or I may use the fact that my boat will be launched and ready to go friday night so that I can be on the water at the south end before the sun even comes up so I can do a quick drift before the brigade arrives

Ronix, before you go to Cross take a look at this site: USGS Seneca River

The water there is up a good five ft or so above summer levels. so not only is it closed to navigation, the flow is so high that the clarity is like mud. Look for a gauge height down closer to 75 ft before you start considering it (summer is around 73.5 give or take). You can set up email alerts based on gauge height from the USGS site ;)

Usually up for only a couple weeks or so around the thaw but the wet spring is screwing things up. I hope they start lowering it soon!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I'm pretty sure right now you couldn't even get into the marina and I'm certain the launch is unusble. you'd probably be launching IN the parking lot right now.

with the water above the banks i believe its also shut down to navigation to prevent erosion to the surrounding lands from wakes.

but you're right the north end is probably going to be the best bet once the levels go down due to clearer waters. the river will be flowing brown for a while until the flow rates settle back down.

after seeing pictures of the area, I can only imagine the clean up I have in store on the lower half of my property between silt and debris. ugh

...and it's going back up again now :(

Flow rates are crazy too...nearly triple the typical flow for this time of year, and spring is already the peak flow of the year!

I might have to head down and get some pics

Woo hoo! 5 days left... can't wait. good luck to everyone on saturday, hopefully there will be some fatty pike pics on this board next week. i'm headed up to the st lawrence for 4 days lookin for gators. Tight lines and hope to see some of you on the water this season :beer:

Good luck up there Joe...bring back pics of some monsters!

Anyone know how the water on conesus has been affected by all the water this spring? Water levels and clarity? Without a major trib flowing directly into it, I suspect it doesn't have a lot of the major debris washed in like other lakes are reported to have, but...

I really doubt it will be that dirty. I also doubt that the weedbeds will be 1/2 of what they were last year for the opener. Good luck guys.

Hoping for the best, went to put boat in and with the way the Black river was no way, we had a guy drown there Sat night. the river was 4ft over my railing on my dock Sat.Sun it was just starting to come down to the deck boards. Hope its better for this Sat.

by the way the eyes were floating and splashing on the dock from the high water.

Good luck out there, and be safe.

Have to get my seasonings ready for the fish fry Sat night. :lipssealed: