Captains Lic. Question

John

I just passed the test(harder then I thought). Anyone know the difference between Inshore/Offshore and Great Lakes. I have the boat hours for both. Need to know if I need to take anymore classes for Great Lakes since I live in Georgia now. I hope this makes sense. My instructor could not answer this, just said I need the hours on the Great Lakes which I do...Tks John

Which one did they issue you? When I got mine in 1995, I got Great Lakes and Inland w/ towing. Last time I renewed, they just issued me Inland even though I had the required amount of time for Great Lakes. I called and questioned them on it. They told me if I wanted to send it back in they would issue me one for Great Lakes and Inland but the guy I talked to said that Inland covers the Great Lakes anyways. So I didn't bother. Not sure if that is correct or not though. I just went through renewal again and am waiting for my new one to arrive. I applied for both again so we will see what comes in the mail.

Great Lakes is in addition to Inland. All you have to do is provide your sea service on the Great Lakes, no additional class/test.

The help line phone number is 1-888-IASKNMC. ( 1-888-427-5662 ) They can answer any question you have, very helpful and polite.

Congratulations on passing the test.

Mickey Finn, that's interesting that your license doesn't state Great Lakes. Mine states:

"Masters Of steam or motor vessels of not more than 50 Gross registered tons upon Great Lakes and Inland waters. Authorized to engage in Commercial assistance towing."

This is my initial issuance, not a renewal. Is your license also Masters or is it a 6-pack?

Wait, if you have Towing, you have the Masters anyhow.

Mine is a 6 pack. Mine also said Great Lakes and Inland on my original and on my 2000 renewal but the last two times it didn't say Great Lakes. As I stated, last time I called them about it and they said the Great Lakes are covered under "Inland". Maybe I'll call them again to verify that. Not sure about the towing and the Masters?

Tks Rob....Say we run the back of the boat and let Kevin drive....I hope I make it back for the Pro Am..still working on that....Does this mean I get a new shirt that say's Captain....I hate rules of the road..hardest part for me....done with the set and drift ****...like I'm ever going to plot a chart out on the water.....Also I predict Team Hideout to win at least one Tourney..or at least beat Yankee Troller in every event....