downrigger blow back

Good Morning to all, I have a 19' Alumacraft and fish the 3 eastern finger lakes with 4 riggers. My problem like many is blow back issues with my 2 deepest riggers, I have been using 12# round cannon balls but as I stated before blowback is a major issue. Can anyone suggest any newer style such fish. pancake, that will work better ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gary

I have tried both the 8 pound Stinger pancakes and the 13 pound torpedoes (A-Tom-Mik).When going anywhere over 2 mph the torpedoes are a better solution.The torpedoes are much better streamlined in comparison to pancakes or balls.

contact troutman87 he has 14# fish for 60 dollars a set....i use them when i fish deeper then 100 ft....but normally i run 12# weights...guess im different because i like the bow back, but im also not afraid to drag my weights on the bottom...

Im surprised you have major blowback issues with 12# weights in the fingerlakes....Im with Jason....I like the blowback on the speed up/slow down trolls....thats when i get alot of my bites....especially when its near bottom. Early in the year I go as low as 6lb....when fishing the top 50ft...What speed do you run?

I agree with the more lure action associated with blow back but conversely, I also run close to the bottom during certain times of the year. I like to know where my balls are in relation to the bottom, ideally I like to see them on my fish finder but if not I prefer to run less blow back. Longer leads will gain more action.

I looked this post over again & I guess I'm wondering why the original poster is having 'trouble' with blow back using 12# weights too.I just figured that these weights were very unstreamlined, but now I'm wondering what speeds you are running?

I do think Tom's 13# torpedo weights will still produce enough blow back to give you plenty of action using throttle variation unless you are going really slow which does not seem to be the case.

Wow, is this winter getting to us or what? :lol: -Andy

I think cabin fever is at an all time high lol. Nothing wrong with blow back as long as you know where you are at, but remember that your transducer reads distance from the transducer not depth. If you are marking your ball @ 100 that means its 100' away from the transducer not down. Find a nice level bottom on your lake and put your downrigger down 100' slowly run shallow untill your ball hits bottom this will give you an idea where you are at. On my little boat (lil troller) i run 8 # balls due to my small downriggers. @ 100' out I hit bottom about 80' depending on what i'm running, but i will mark the ball @100' the entire time. It took me a little bit to figure out why i could mark the ball running through the lake bed lol. The only concern i see with blowback is in heavy cross currents. stagger depths and run short leads and you should be fine. 12# balls shouldn't have much issue in the finger lakes. We run 10# on our trophy and I don't think we have ever tangled our downriggers together. My guess is your running cowbells or something else with a lot of drag to get anykind of blowback with 12#. I'm an eastern fingerlakes guy also, if you need any ideas thow me a PM and i'll be happy to share what i know.

Good luck,

Ben

If you are new to the sport and read this post, please do not think that downrigger blow back is desireable.

It's not.

Most normal people will go to heavier weights when fishing deep to minimize blowback. :rofl:

I can just see the poor guy out there.

"Maybe we need some more blow back." :o

I am with the majority here GFO.

Atomic torpedoes are very good.

Shark weights are good also but expensive.

Glen

Hi Chris, Ya I still have my 19' Alumacraft and She's going strong.

I'm really enjoying retirement after running my own business for 40 years. I'm hunting , fishing, playing senior old mans hockey twice a week and enjoying 5 teen age grandchildren whom the Wife and I love to take Bass fishing. Hope all is well with you. Gary