Eythenol

Has Been

Down in FLA there are gas stations & marinas that have non-ethenol pumps for recreation use. Is that available up here? My neph also said to make sure I get a good filter/seperator to catch small white particles created by eth before it gets to carb.His mechanic freind said he is making a good living fixing that. Also said to change ALL hoses that are older because it will eat them up. Merc rep also recomends the Staron additive .Also said to run the Merc Quick clean once in a while to decarbon the rings so that they seal better to the eggshape cylinder walls as they become broken in for better compresion& performance.

As of December 2010 it is no longer legal to sell ethanol free gasoline in NY state. The latest plan is to increase the percentage of ethanol in gasoline to 15%.

Certainly not surprising, if there is anything a state can do to degrade the quality of life for it's residents, NYS is typically the first to implement it and then see how much they can expand it.

Tim

Does the same apply to the ValvTect line of marine fuels? They claim to be a non-ethanol fuel for marine use. I know not every marina carries it, but if the automotive fuels are being forced to go 15%, I'm going to see if I can locate a ValvTect equipped marina. I think I heard somewhere that Salmon Country on the LSR carries it ???

My understanding is that Valvetect is 10% ethanol but they have some process/additives whereby they can prevent phase separation.

The Town of Newfane Marina in Olcott went to Valvtect last year after they could no longer get non ethanol for the gas dock (thank you SO much NYS) and that was what Dawn at the Marina told me about what Valvtect claimed about their gas.

http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp

Tim

Once phase separation happens it will NOT mix back up, that is one of the big problems with ethanol in boats. Fuel gets used to quickly in cars for it to be an issues, but boats (especially bigger boats) have very large gas tanks, frequently sized in the hundreds of gallons, and most boats are not used all that frequently.

The repeated daily warming and cooling cycles throughout the season causes water to condense in the fuel tank and gets absorbed into the ethanol fuel. When the percentage of water in the fuel reaches a certain point, ethanol fuel phase separates and the alcohol and water drops out and no amount of mixing will undo the phase separation process. The water that was released from the fuel sinks to the bottom of the tank, where the fuel pickup tubes are and that is what gets sucked into the fuel pump/engine first.

Replacing the water separating fuel filter regularly helps some, but cannot get all of the water out of the fuel once that happens.

Boat US has a ton of info on the dangers of ethanol in boat engines on their website.

Tim

Improbable though it sounds, Obama wanted to do away with the entire ethanol thing,because it is economically very unsound. During the vote last December about continued subsidies for the Ethanol industry,it was the mostly mid western republican corn producing farmers lobby that pushed it down our throats.

Not improbable at all. A guy who shattered the land speed record for wasteing our tax dollars now wants to be fiscally responsible .We all know the windmills don't work & are economically unsound so why are WE funding them? . Touts renewable,& yes corn based eythenol in his speeches. So why is he against eythenol ,that as inefficiant as it is ,does work? My guess is the subsidy/buyoff money goes to REPUBLICAN corn farmers.

Got to mention that those of us that have older vehicles, not designed for ethanol, now have reduced fuel economy thanks to 10% ethanol in our Gasoline.

What a great scheme to have us spending more money, from burning more fuel, and bringing in more tax revenue from gasoline sales. That's really just a crazy conspiracy theory on my part though.

Got to mention that those of us that have older vehicles, not designed for ethanol, now have reduced fuel economy thanks to 10% ethanol in our Gasoline.

What a great scheme to have us spending more money, from burning more fuel, and bringing in more tax revenue from gasoline sales. That's really just a crazy conspiracy theory on my part though.

Tell me about it! I used to get about 350 miles out of a tank in my 2002 Expedition. Now, I'm lucky if I can get to 275. :no::@

The energy from 10 gallons of ethanol is equal to the energy from 6 gallons of gasoline. You pay the same price and get just after halfway there. Why do we have elections when the people we send to Washington become more stupid?

I found this link on a similar discussion on the sanders forum which gives retailers providing fuel without ethanol, not sure how valid it is as of today's date, the only Kwik Fill locations listed are Castile, NY and Jamestown, nY

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY

FWIW, I looked at other states on that site like CA for instance list 3 retailers, NY lists 22. Wisconsin and Louisiana too many to count.

Valvtect is 10% ethanol, with an additive blended in the regular gasoline. The research based additive reduces the combustion temperature to near normal (ethanol free gas), it prevents phase separation for up to 18 months (the fuel mixing from wave action doesn’t work), it helps remove the water content from the fuel tank and we are told it drives your engine clean. Valvtech and Startron were the leaders in this fuel issue as of the summer of 2010 based on scientific research. We at Krenzer Marine have sold Valvtech for 2 years and believe the product is doing an excellent job. Our Valvtech distributor does a moisture test on our tank before every fill-up, they are very proactive.

To our knowledge the last of the ethanol free fuel was used up by May of 2010, at least in the new York State area, so If you fill up in NY., I assume it is 10% ethanol. 15% ethanol is proposed, not a close topic just yet. The New York State Marine Trades Association (your local major marine dealerships) sends tens of thousands of dollars to a lobbiest firm in Albany & Washington to fight the ethanol issue every day.

Understand that ethanol super cleans (dissolves deposits) so when you start running it in the boat deposits that are in you tank will now mix with the fuel. The water separator will catch most, we have had the screen on the end of pick-up tubes become plugged with debris and the small filter in the base of the carb (if you have one) can plug. If the fuel tank is contaminated we will tip a boat in our lift and pump out 15 gallons of fuel from the bottom corner of the fuel tank

I wouldn’t go and change fuel lines and fuel tanks just yet, I would replace the water separator every year or sooner (your engine will tell you by spitting and sputtering), make sure fuel fill seals good and vents don’t draw water into the tank. Strongly consider using Valvtech or Startron additive especially if you don’t have a Valvtech fuel supplier. We double the Valvtech additive for winter storage or if the customer rarely runs the boat.

Tim Habecker

Krenzer Marine, Inc.