Poll.....

Alright Gent I have a poll question for you...

Based on a fishing standpoint alone and no other deciding factors...

Where would you rather get a boat slip and fish out of....? Watkins or Ithaca? Remaining at the southern ends....

We fish mostly Cayuga Lake but have had trouble (2 near collisions with sailboats) at the south end. our boat is trailerable and we work our way up the lake as the summer goes on launching closer to the action. Seneca has more motor boat traffic than sailboats on the south end but can still be crowded. Both places are great fishing. Which ever lake you pick, get on the lake early before the pleasure boats or sailboats are out in numbers. We try to be on the water half an hour before sunrise and normaly work our way up the lake as the day goes on to get away from the traffic. If I lived closer to Seneca that would more than likley be my pick. It is a shame that there are no large marinas in the middle portion of the Cayuga lake. We are lucky to have two great fisheries so close.

Quality Time,

Thanks for the reply. I am getting my boat this Saturday and honestly I could go either way as far as the lakes go. I fished Cayuga last year however I went out last weekend on Seneca and liked it as well. Both southern ends produce fish. I have heard there is more bait fish in Cayuga than Seneca and have heard Seneca's water gets rougher. Was curious how many others would agree or disagree to those statements or had other pros and cons to the two lakes. I dont think I could go wrong either way... just curious.

John USMC

The cayuga boys choose seneca because thats the only body of water they have fished :lol: , just kidding. Some people do notice a difference in how the lakes produce with tactics and what nots. Seneca is the mos unpredictable of them all, we can go from glass waters to 3 footers really fast, i am sure cayuga can too. However both south ends you will deal with sailboats and the weekenders, but once you run past hector falls, it tends to die off.. I slip in the canal in watkins glen, and i dont complain, Good people, gas docks, pump out... And the good fishing stays all season long! Plus theres always a boat to jump on. Slip pricing went up @ montour marina this season from what i have heard. Glen harbor is tough. Seneca Marine is close to the lake on the canal, but high dollar. I dock at Ervays Inc. I am a ten minute trip to the lake and its peaceful all summer, except for the rowdy crowd, but its always a good time. I hear marina is selling in spring. Possibly new owenership, maybe for the better? slips are not too bad, and you dont have to drive through town to get to your boat!!!!!!!! :clap::yes: . If you have an other ?'s pm me.

Nick

Keep in mind that both lakes are put & take lakes, what the DEC does previosly with their stocking program has a impact on the quality of the fishing! Whichever laker you have confidence in should be your choice. I like Seneca in the winter & Cayuga in the summer!

i know i like listen to the radio and hear the guys who fish cayuga in the summer complain they cant catch fish on seneca...which only tell me that cayuga like fishin in a barrel....i love fishing seneca she like a women....stubborn at times and doesnt like to put out, just a little sweet talk and romance and you golden.

i do know if it was for ray and I posting how well we do while winter fishing none of the boats that are out there now would be out there. i know ive been winter fishing since 96...

I agree with Jason, the only reason I fish Seneca is because of the information posted on this website. In fairness to all it's only proper to share this info. There are plenty of fish and regardless how much info you have whether it's Cayuga or Seneca you have to pay your dues. So with sharing your success and passing information all benefit and most important you get to meet some great people and develop lasting friendships!

Alright Gent I have a poll question for you...

Based on a fishing standpoint alone and no other deciding factors...

Where would you rather get a boat slip and fish out of....? Watkins or Ithaca? Remaining at the southern ends....

I can NOT answer that from a fishing stand point. Personally I would not slip at either one with my boat. I’d put that money into renting a camp and leave my boat at the camp. Pull in hook up to boat and head to which ever lake I want to fish. Get done come back clean my fish (if I’m lucky) take care of the boat , then put my feet up and relax in my trailer. My camp is 89 miles from my house going by way of Ithaca and about 95 by way of Watkins. Ithaca can be a P.I.T.A. some times to get thru so I go the longer way but time wise it’s less. I can by-pass Watkins and don’t have to drive thru the town. I been fishing Seneca since 1996 and only fish Cayuga once in a while ( never got there last year at all ) I can be at Seneca in less than 5 minutes , over to Cayuga in 25 minutes , Canudagia (sp) about a hour 10 minutes and the same for lake Ontario. The bait population on Seneca has been on the increase since around 2002 or so. It had a big die off of pike over the past two years and the landlocks and browns have been on the increase IMHO. Laketrout are reproducing more and more each year and I’m 95% sure all rainbows are natural reproduction in Seneca. Anyway just one more way to look at what’s best for you……………….good luck which ever one you pick and if you want a ride on the middle of Seneca some time give me a PM.

based on fishing standpoint alone and no other factors, I'd pick Cayuga. I've never been skunked there and there are many types of fish / water to work. There were seasons (it seemed) that I'd get skunked on seneca, although looking back, it was probably due more to the types of programs I was running and when.

Considering other factors, such as dealing with Ithacans :lol: (no offense - present company excluded), boat traffic, distance, etc., I'd actually choose Seneca first, but you asked about fishing factor alone.

I have about the same amount of days on both Lakes I catch fish on them all. Your Lakers run bigger on Cayuga and the Rainbow population is better. Both lakes have good salmon fishing this time of year on the South ends. Once that is over you need to drive North on both lakes. So be ready for a boat ride by end of May. The Bait population is down on Seneca so who knows if the fish population will follow. I have way to much money in my boat to keep it at a slip, and it would take me hours to unload all my crap. You will be ok if you don't leave all your gear on your boat. But with gas on the way up and the crap economy you better have your stuff nailed down or it will be gone. Id go with Cayuga on fishing only, but then you have to drive threw Ithaca :rofl: . I would make my choice on the Marina, slip and what you think of your neighbors at it. Get one near Nick he is always at the lake he would be a good gaurd dog :rofl::rofl: . Sean

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! But, I think Cayuga has the edge for most of the traditional fishing season. Like Sean said though, I sure wouldn't put all my cards in the south end of either lake except real late in the season and in the winter (and early BT missions, though Ontario is much better for browns than either Seneca or Cayuga!). I too think you will be happier with the boat on a trailer- mix & match is the way to go!

sure wouldn't put all my cards in the south end of either lake except real late in the season and in the winter (and early BT missions, though Ontario is much better for browns than either Seneca or Cayuga!). I too think you will be happier with the boat on a trailer- mix & match is the way to go!

Gotta agree :yes: Both lakes are great to fish.

With the diversity of fishing opportunities in the area it's a blessing and a challenge to decide where/when/with what.

The earth is 3/4 H2O. That's why you should go fishing 3 times as much as you ..........!

My 2 cents. Drive the extra 6 miles up the east side or west side of cayuga. taughannock or Myers pt. The money you spend in gas coming out of the channel on cayuga will by far out weigh the fuel usage of your vehicle a few miles up the lake. Those two marinas put you in good position for mid lake runs in the summer if you feel necessary. I only run as far as necessary. I am partial to cayuga and I think you will get more days on the water on cayuga. the shore line shape gives you long runs on the leeward side of a point when the wind howls. Besides how could you go wrong hanging out with guys like Spiltshot/lil jake/ lyteline/rustyrat/playin hookey/joysea/ and so on. I am not a guy who hauls my boat from lake to lake. Once it's in the slip at Finger lakes marina on the south side of Myers Pt. It only sees shore for a break down or season end. If you want a referal for F L Marina let me know. The owner is super to deal with.

Sean :lol: , i do live on the boat from time it hits the water til the day it comes out. However, if you get away from the easy access marinas, your gear should be safe. Lock it up..tight. With my old boat, you couldnt tell it wa a fishermans boat, the new one, no way to hide it. However, locks only keep honest people out. I do not ever leave electronics on my boat, never! Seneca does die down in may on the south end, i find myself running about 6-10 miles before getting back into heavier fish. I like to make a weekend out of it and fish geneva end a few times a season. With the Nation Lake Trout Derby being one of them and the Red Cross another( missing it this year). If i had a trailer, I couldnt agree with these guys anymore...

I live in between the lakes at the North end and enjoy trailering to both. Personally I think Seneca is tougher fishing...but I like that better. It's a challenge once in awhile to figure out what will get the fish to move when they are being finicky. If I were to host some friends that had kids who were set on consistant action I would (voice gets lower) go to Cayuga...but my heart would be on Seneca! :inlove: