Sliders

I use 6' - 8' of 20 or 25lb of mono with a snap on one end (attach to main line) and ballbearing snap swivel on the other (attach to lure).

Shawn

6-8' of 15, 20,or 30# test mono with good quality swivel on both ends. Use something different then your mainline will help with tangles and get you fishing faster.

What Rob said + I like to slip a bead on my main line b4 I tie on my snap swivel - that way when the slider gets down there it doesn't fetch up on the swivel and start to wrap.

I do what Legacy said above. Using a different line shade or something definitely helps with tangles. I also use an Off Shore Tackle Planer Board Release, with the shower curtain loop removed, to hold the slider in place on the main line. A trick I learned along the way fishing with another gentleman on this board.

I use the same line on my slider and cheater as is on my main line. My line is never longer than the rod I am using. I also have a snap swival that attaches to the lure and a snap that attaches to the main line. When I do not want the line to slide or to keep it a certain length above the main lure,I use a rubberband. I loop the rubber band around the rigger cable, hook the snap to the rubberband and the main line together. This will hold the cheater and it is easily retrieved.

Shade

I use about 4 to 5' of 25# flouro with a larger ballbearing coastlock swivel on the rod end and a smaller swivel/duolock on the spoon end. I like the bigger swivel to be able to pass the leader swivel and terminal swivel on the main line and hang on the mainline spoon. I experience fewer tangles/wrap-ups if the slider can trail straight off the main line when bringing them in.

I use the same line as my leader. 8-10 lb (finger lakes) and 20lb (ontario) flouro 6-8 ft long swivel it the same as Broad horizons. I perfer the free slider over fixing them mainly because i get too many shakers here on the fingerlakes.