vhf radio channel

Im putting in a new radio and antenna in my boat tomorrow and i am going to go in the lower river sunday and want to test it out. What channels do you fisherman monitor? I am under the assumption that boaters and the coast guard monitor channel 16 and 9. I know on a cb radio channel 9 is for emergency but nobody monitors it wondering is it the same for the coast guard? and plus i dont want to be broadcasting on an emergency channel and catch hell for it. I bought a cobra f55 vhf radio with a 4400 series shakespear antenna. the man at the store with the antenna I could reach 75 to 80 miles. It seemed a bit far but i dont know. This radio can also be hooked up to a gps and when hooked up i get this number to ID me and the boat and send my location to the coast guard in an emergency at the push of a button. What kind of gps can i use to hook up to the radio? Where can i buy one and how much do they run? I read somewhere that the coast guards system for this push button emergeny feature isnt up and running yet and you stil have to radio it in with a mayday or pan sort of distress call. Is there any truth to this or an old article i read. I fish niagara county for the most part. When fishing the lower river do you guys monitor your radio or keep it off?

As far as what channels fisher people use when trolling I have to say that they are all ove rthe radio. As far as what type of GPS I would either contact a Marina, BOAT US or someone that knows on what type and where to ge tthe numbers to identify yourself and boat. I fish in Lake Ontario around the Genesee River and I know from experienc etha tthe push button for Coaast Guard does work, had to use it last year. I leave my radio on at all times whether fishing or just out for a ride. Good Luck in your inwuiry