Dipsy Divers

hey guys, i wanted to get into using dipsy divers more but dont really know the right way to have them. so i just wanted to pick your brains a little. i was wondering what type of line you use when using a dipsy? how long of a snubber you use? what colors of the dipsy you have and like to use? what type of rod/reel combo do you prefer?

Thanks,

Codie

I run my dipsys on 7 strand Malin wire.

8-12 inch snubber with a 7 or 8 foot 20 lb leader from dipsy to lure.

I run Shimano Tekota 600lc's on Shimano Tolara roller guide rods and couldn't be happier.

Catch alot of fish on them.

Glen

wire is way to go, set your drag real light after you have the dipsey at the ft out you want to cover than attach a #3 or so rubber band around the wire to the reel handle. fish hits, rubber band breaks then adjust drag to fight fish. this helps avoid loosing the fish from the initial shock of the strike, silver diver/black diver are my best.. somedays if it weren't for my divers it would be a slow go...good luck :yes:

Colors I like are green metallic, Kelly green and yellow, fire tiger.

Size 0 for a stacked down and out on the rigger cable using 30 lb ande mono.

Size 001 for off the gunnels set on 2 and 3 using 30 lb power pro until the fleas come out. Or just use the Malin stranded wire all season.

I don't use a snubber, just my preference for using a flexible and forgiving rod and 30 lb Seaguar flouro 8 ft leader to take the whack.

Daiwa heartlands rods are very forgiving.

Twilly tip on rod if you use wire.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

• 7 months later...

I am also new to Dipsy's and would like to know what is the big advantage of using wire? I have a couple of used reels that came spooled with wire, haven't removed the wire yet, but am just not crazy about the way it tends to kink up when I play with it. What's so special about it that I'd want to use it instead of 30lb Ande with a 30lb Fluorocarbon Ande leader ?

I am also new to Dipsy's and would like to know what is the big advantage of using wire? I have a couple of used reels that came spooled with wire, haven't removed the wire yet, but am just not crazy about the way it tends to kink up when I play with it. What's so special about it that I'd want to use it instead of 30lb Ande with a 30lb Fluorocarbon Ande leader ?

Wire will achieve depth faster than mono. 300' with mono might get you 50' where with wire you'll get 100'.

Wire is the easiest with dipsy's but I also have two on mono. The problem with mono is it stretches and once you have more than 100 feet out, it stretches too much to get the dipsey to pop open when you have a hit from a smaller fish. With wire you just pull and it pops.

I have all kinds of dipsey sizes, but find the No.1 is the most versatile, so I would just stick with this size.

I have a few different colors that I match up with my Spin Doctor, but I don't think it matters all that much.

I used to use a snubber, but found it got tangled around the dipsy too much and prevented the dipsy from popping, not good with a big fish on. I no longer use a snubber and find that my landing success has improved.

• 2 weeks later...

Wire is many times better than Mono or Braided. It sinks deeper, is less prone to collecting fleas, doesn't stretch at all, and lasts years and years. Roller rod is fancy and nice but is definately not needed. You don't even need a twilly tip for the first year or two.

Oh, and wire seems to spool on and off your reel a lot better than braid or mono. It also reels in and seems to make the drag work a little smoother....at least on my reels.

Mono is worthless with divers because it is so stretchy you can't pop the diver when you want to bring it back in and because it is so thick your diver won't dive nearly as deep. Braided is worthless once the fleas arrive because it collects the fleas like it has glue on it and they are very hard to remove from braided.

How do you keep wire from kinking up? The stuff I see is not very springy at all, just seems very ductile. Like copper. Bend it one way and that's the way it stays. Any special brand you guys buy?

NEVER let any slack when dealing with wire. ALWAYS keep pressure on that wire to maintain itself so it wont coil or kink. A lot of people new to wire break off rigs because they aren't anal enough about this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I run my dipsys on 7 strand Malin wire.

8-12 inch snubber with a 7 or 8 foot 20 lb leader from dipsy to lure.

I run Shimano Tekota 600lc's on Shimano Tolara roller guide rods and couldn't be happier.

Catch alot of fish on them.

Glen

What size tolara's do you use? I'm thinking of upgrading my 10 ft starfires to rods with roller guides. Or might just get an extra set and run two pairs. Not sure if i want those big long rods (even tho they have extra give) or go with a shorter rod (which is easier to use on my 17 ft boat). I'm also thinking that if i run 4 diver rods at the same time, it might work out better to have the rods in two different sizes.

Hey, good thread guys - I'm thinking about getting into Dipsey's also and this thread was helpful. Going to check out Gander this weekend to see if they have any rod and reel combo's to look at along with some wire.

How do you keep wire from kinking up? The stuff I see is not very springy at all, just seems very ductile. Like copper. Bend it one way and that's the way it stays. Any special brand you guys buy?

NEVER let any slack when dealing with wire. ALWAYS keep pressure on that wire to maintain itself so it wont coil or kink. A lot of people new to wire break off rigs because they aren't anal enough about this.

Also use 7 strand wire, it is far more foregiving and easy to manage than single strand wire.