Drift Socks or Trolling Plates?

I've been using a drift sock to slow my troll, but it can make steering difficult at times. I was thinking of buying a second bag to put on the opposite side to balance the boat out and gain some control.

I've looked at the trolling plates, but I'm not sure I like the idea of bolting a piece of aluminum on a hinge to my lower unit. I have visions of it breaking and getting caught by the prop.

Any thoughts for or against either system?

Thanks

Excavr,

I use trolling bags only, usually only one bag and it can affect my steering like it does yours. However, I use an autopilot so it's less of an issue. When I moved the bag more amidships, instead of near the stern, it was much easier to steer.

Good luck,

- Chris

I had a trolling plate and hated it. I had a lot of interference in my depth finder from the turbulence. I moved to the Beefy Buggy Bags from Amish Outfitters and they are great. They are extremely tough and slow your boat way down. If I use two bags, I can drop do 1.5mph for lakers. They also have great customer service...

I run a plate...one which is hinged mid plate to avoid any bending issues should I be a knucklehead and forget to pop it up before taking off. I was on a guys boat once who ran bags...hooked a 30# + King that did what they all do...headed under the boat. You know how that ended when he got the line caught up in the stupid bag lines right? I don't need more junk in the water...don't need to deal with storing and handling bags. I got one added benefit of getting a unit that also helps planing because of the hydrofoil built in.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/EasyTrol ... l+Products

Tie your bags to the front side cleats & only let out enough line so that the bag is just under the water doing its thing. You should only have it back 1/2 -3/4 the length of the boat & away from the prop ,bags should run great with no problem. If you go with a trolling plate get a spring loaded one without a release rope, go with a metal plate if possible the plastic/glass tend to bend & can get into the prop when backing up, seen it happen. Jmo. good luck!

On other benefit I feel is that in rougher water, my boat (23' walkaround) seems to track a little straighter and is more stable with the Buggy Bags. This may just be my perception, but big water doesn't seem to toss us around as much now. Does anyone else get that?

On other benefit I feel is that in rougher water, my boat (23' walkaround) seems to track a little straighter and is more stable with the Buggy Bags. This may just be my perception, but big water doesn't seem to toss us around as much now. Does anyone else get that?

Yes I was first told this by a well renowned Charter Captain who told me you in effect increase your beam in rough water. I have an 8 foot beam but with a 22 inch bag out each side my boat will act more like a 12 foot beam. You increase the profile of your boat in the water.

For those concerned about looseing fish my bags are both pre tied and fastened to cleats. To deploy just throw them over the side. Should i have a big salmon coming in on that side I just need to pull up on the dump line and throw the bag on the inside of the boat. I can have it out of the way in seconds.

Being the cheapskate I am ,I use modified Drywall buckets. Have a bent trolling plate on the wall in my barn .Hated it. And yes, in rough water I find it holds the boat more stable in the water, don't get that side to side rock as much. Tie midship to be ahead of outdowns& out of way for fishlanding. Buckets are a good alternative to save a few bucks if you want to try it. Been using for many years.

We use bags on our 24 ft. Trophy..when trolling with the wind...A big fish on requires pulling out of the water which takes seconds....Both of my summer neighbors have plates and both have been bent........cracked..broke and welded...Also they run their engines faster to keep speed constant on the fish hawk...gulp..gulp on the gas...One neighbor has same engine...outdrive and prop pitch and will use three times the gas as I do on a comparable trip....Also all that prop action screws with his electronics....My son had a plate on his old 22 footer and about 10 years ago while we were fishing Lake George...the darn thing snapped off the fins on the Merc Alpha and was gone....I don't even know what kind of bags we have....but they are dark blue and about 24 inch intake...They were on the boat when we bought it to settle an estate...The man who bought it new lived in Oneonta and his home port was Sodus...With a cross wind....A single bag attached to the side the wind is coming from will help keep our boat straight and on course...When we lost the plate off the old 22 footer.......We got a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets ............drilled several holes in the bottom and attached them 4-5 feet back from the bow............cheap and ugly....and we got a lot of giggles .........but they worked

I have one hanging in my barn. Had it on a 18' glass boat with a 120 hp i/o & loved it , no hassle pulling a rope to put it up or down this is what I recommened I didn't know they still made them , sorry mine is not for sale may use it again some day.

I use the plastic automatic trolling plate , cabellas has it, works great, will never bend, and you don't have to remember to lift it up, and it planes the boat off quick when you take off fast.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png