Power Pro Recommendations

I am considering re-spooling my Accudepth 47LC reels with fresh line for the upcoming season and would appreciate recommendations regarding line test. I am currently using 150 yards of 65 lb. Power Pro with 20 lb. mono backing to fill spools. This setup was relatively inexpensive to start with and served me well for fishing Finger Lakes with dipsy divers. I predominately fish the fingers, but would like to make a trip or two up to lake Ontario for some king action and don't dare attempt it with current setup. I am considering filling entire spools with 50 lb. Power Pro figuring this will provide more length for those screaming kings and also provide less drag (greater depth) when using divers. I believe 500 yards will fit well on the 47LC reels. Does this sound reasonable or should I consider other options. I am currently limited to dipsy divers, but plan to pick up 1 or 2 downriggers this spring. Will this reel setup work well for riggers as well, as long as I use fluorocarbon leaders? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Keith

I would spool up with 65 lb power pro and 20 lb floro leaders for the dipsys.

65 lb will be better for fleas.

Never ran braid on my riggers so I won't comment on it.

Again you need to consider fleas.

I run Ande mono off riggers and Flea Flicker when the season dictates it.

Glen

Thanks for the advice Glen! That is a good point about fleas. I guess I figured flea build up would be about the same for either 50 lb or 65 lb braid. I am concerned about line length on reel for fighting kings. Perhaps more than I need to be. I remember fishing the big O during childhood with my cousin many years ago and catching several kings in the 30 to 40 lb range. They hit hard, turned and screamed a lot of line out before getting them to stop, not to mention burning my thumb up trying to apply extra drag so we didn't get spooled out. He was running 20 lb mono but I don't know what size reels or length line he was running. I want to share the experience with my own children and want to make sure I'm properly prepared. Does anyone know how much 65 lb Power Pro will fit onto an Accudepth 47LC? Also, any comments (both pros and cons) regarding the use of braid while fishing off riggers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Thanks for the advice Glen! That is a good point about fleas. I guess I figured flea build up would be about the same for either 50 lb or 65 lb braid. I am concerned about line length on reel for fighting kings. Perhaps more than I need to be. I remember fishing the big O during childhood with my cousin many years ago and catching several kings in the 30 to 40 lb range. They hit hard, turned and screamed a lot of line out before getting them to stop, not to mention burning my thumb up trying to apply extra drag so we didn't get spooled out. He was running 20 lb mono but I don't know what size reels or length line he was running. I want to share the experience with my own children and want to make sure I'm properly prepared. Does anyone know how much 65 lb Power Pro will fit onto an Accudepth 47LC? Also, any comments (both pros and cons) regarding the use of braid while fishing off riggers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

I would not recommend using braid off of riggers because line twist simply from putting the line into your releases can and does become a huge issue. You will need an extremely high quality swivel/snap swivel to attach line to either flouro or mono leader plus the connection to your lure. I suppose you could blood knot the leader section and the braid connection. But in my experience fleas are harder to get off of braided line than even regular mono let alone flea flicker. For these reasons (and because I am a dunce) i prefer to keep everythig as simple as possible. Regular mono with 150 feet of flea flicker in flea season ans regular mono alone the rest of the season. Just my 2cents.

Just something for you to think about... consider 7 strand wire for your dipsy rods, especially when the fleas come on strong in the middle of the summer. The wire generally cuts through them as the line slides through the rod guides. I've been running wire for 5 seasons, and found it to be very productive, and have not had any major problems with the fleas. Messing around trying to get fleas off your line, while trying to battle a big increases the potential to lose the fish.

My 47LCs are spooled with a 1000 feet of 30lb wire, about 330 yards, and fills the spool nicely. 330 yards is more than enough to handle 99% of the big fish we catch. In all the years fishing I can remember having to turn and chase only a couple fish that were on a dipsey.

I know you want to run Power Pro, but just thought I'd add an opinion.

Chris

I run braid for deep water off my riggers and put backing (30# mono on first) then the braid. I start with two empty reels re-set line counter on 1st reel and put on braid till counter starts at 999 and back to 000. Then finish with mono noting how much is going on to finish filling reel. Then put it on the other empty reel I take 40 feet of the mono and put it off to the side , load other reel with backing and braid then and the 40' of mono that will be for my black's releases. I join the mono-braid togather using a (not sure the size right off would have to check in the boat but it goes thru the guide on to the reel no problem) ballbearing swivle. If your REAL good at knots you can use a double uni-knot to join them. Travelman told me about the swivle deal and I learned the hard way my uni-knots were OK but not for BIG fish ( thanks TM ). Anyway while your using them for divers you would leave off the first mono but add it when you went to using them for your riggers. Unless someone knows a braid freindly release.............

I have been running 30 lb fireline (original fused) for two of my diver rods for five years. I DO NOT HAVE A FLEA PROBLEM WITH FIRELINE FUSED. Something about the coating keeps the fleas off. The 30lb has NEVER failed me even with 30lb mono leaders. The 30lb thin diameter allows me to hit depths similar to my 30 lb wire.

I have been running 30 lb fireline (original fused) for two of my diver rods for five years. I DO NOT HAVE A FLEA PROBLEM WITH FIRELINE FUSED. Something about the coating keeps the fleas off. The 30lb has NEVER failed me even with 30lb mono leaders. The 30lb thin diameter allows me to hit depths similar to my 30 lb wire.

What color fireline fused do you use. I would like to give the stuff a try if it works as well as wire to keep fleas off and achieve depths like wire. Interesting, thanks

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I use the smoke color (black). Make sure with the fireline when you tie to the dipsy, wrap the line through the swivel eye twice before tying an improved cinch knot to prevent slipping. Then with the tag end I throw an overhand knot close to the cinch knot and singe the waste with a heat source to keep the line from fraying. A 300 yard spool fills most trolling reels up nicely.

We run a braid program very similar to yours Gill-T, with very similar results is sounds like. The only exception is that we use 30 lb Power Pro (dark green). What I like about this is that I can run either a dipsy or a slide diver on it, and for both salmon/trout on the Big O, and when I need to get deeper for the walleye on Erie in mid to late summer. I'm brand new to downrigger fishing though, so I won't comment on using braid on the riggers.

I definitely change leader lengths and weights depending on whether its a dipsy or slide diver, and whether we are chasing Kings/Steelies or 'eyes. For spring Kings/Steelies we run 20 lb leaders, in the fall we bump it up to 25 lb. For the eyes you can go as light as you think you need to. I typically run about a 12-15 lb flouro leader though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought some fireline fused original at bass pro and it does have properties very similar to wire. If you bend it, it stays bent just like wire, but doesn't piggy tail like wire. It feels very slick and seems to have the qualities that repel spiney water fleas, just as you have said. I will have it on two dipsy rods this summer and will give it a real time test and report.

The fireline seems a little bigger diameter than the power pro, but power pro is more like multifiliment thread that would and does collect fleas. The fireline is more mono filament style of braid, and is very slick. Thanks for the tip GT!

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

The one thing you have to watch with braid is allowing it to dig into itself. After spooling it on the reel, go down to the school ball fields and hook a swivel on a chainlink fence and walk back in free-spool and take almost all the braid off the reel (1000' is a long way, give yourself room). Engage the reel and under tension, reel the braid back onto the spool tight ( I do this for my wire and copper as well). If a school is not available (what?), then when you hit the water for the first run, put on a dipsy and send it out 400', trip it and reel it back in. A few times a year do the dipsy trick. When that king salmon is ripping line, you don't want any hesitations or you will loose your gear and your MIND :@:@. The diameter is larger than power pro. If you get any fleas on the line just slap the line on the surface as you bring the dipsy back in (can't do that with wire!). The surface tension of the water pulls off the fleas as the line breaks the surface. I just replaced my braid, but the old stuff looked as good as the day I bought it-minus the first 50' of line. I reused the old stuff for backing on some leadcore set-ups.