advice on salmon fishing lake O with a 16 foot boat

Hello all,

i mostly fish the fingerlakes because i have a small boat. i did some brown fishing this spring on Lake O but i was following my rule of not getting far from the shore (for safety reasons in a small boat) and i had no problems.

i badly want to get into some of the salmon action i'm reading about, which seems to be in 85-120 fow.

HOW FAR FROM SHORE ARE THE SALMON RIGHT NOW?

i could go out of rochester (preferably) or as west as olcott or east as fairhaven. i presume that if the winds are out of the south and less than 5-10mph, that 1-2 miles from the shore wouldn't be too rough. is that accurate?

many thanks,

andre

Andre,

I have been fishing out of a 16.5 ft boat in the spring and the fall for the last 4 years without any problems. Wind/weather is your biggest question. If the wind is like you said 5 to 10 out of the south you are fine, but just be aware that it can change at any given second plus throw in a thunderstorm an you could be in trouble. I have, an do get out into that depth of water in the fall, depending on where the fish are but I always watch the sky and have an ear to the radio for the weather. My advise, bottom line make sure you have enough engine to get in fast enough should the weather turn south. Oh and know your boats limitations......

I am sure some of the more seasoned guys will have some good advise as well.

Darren

See my post about fishing this morning on Gamblers report from yesterday. I was out several times late last summer and early fall. If it gets too rough you just have to bag it and try again next time, although it's easy for me to say cause I have a 10 minute drive to the lake. Good luck.

I fish from a 16fter and its a long ride to 100fow and 200-250 is a long ride if it goes bad. Thats out of the genny,I think its close to five miles out. Try the Oak,its only a short run to 100fow. The fishing there is great and getting better. Think safe have a good mounted compass on board, hand held compasses and GPS are useless when you need both hands to handle the boat. If you don't have a VHF at least have a weather radio. Good luck good catching.