Salt water to fresh

Now to really stir the pot....

I know alot of the what ifs on this topic...

but has anyone actually bought a previous salt water boat and brought it to the great lakes region

If so what of the "don't do it's had you suffered?

The first thing I noticed was the zinc anodes they were almost shot but my boat was/is a 1988 I bought in 1997. Most anything that was added should be checked to see if they need to be replaced. They had a rigger board across the back when I checked the thru bolts they were about as thick as a match stick in spots. Not sure if this was the salt or metal to aluminum degrading. Most other things like floor and such was old age and because of the way it was kept. I put a lot of time bringing her back and like ALL boats still have more on my do list.

One of my first boats was a saltwater. The 85hp outboard had elec/hyd. shift. The lower unit had corroided together. so I couldn't fix the shift and had no reverse. Docking was a one shot deal . Had to replace the stringers they were just gone , with fiberglass loops where they had been. But it was cheap :lol:

Chris,

I brought a Grady back from Boston in the fall of 1999. I ran the boat all last year and the only problem was the fuel gage went on the reserve tank. The twin outboards ran good all year. The boat spent 10 years in salt. Make sure you have a good surveyor but for what I saved over a fresh water vessel I think it was more than worth it. I hope I just didn't jinx myself.

John

thanks for the info

i think it comes down to the previous owner and their maintenance habits as far a flushing and spraying down

i am very specific with my boat - motor- etc.

so far the boat i'm really interested in seems to be the same way (very specific on his maintenance & clean up)

this weekend will tell - pictures all look good but been burned three times so far by pretty pictures on the net...

Thanks again...always open to more opinions!

Fresh water cooled power (closed cooling system) is a must IMO. otherwise its a maintinance issue with the previous owner. if the boat is moored and uncovered in a salt enviorment thats a problem. the salt creates problems, particularly with the electrical systems.

I am running a salt boat now for 4 years with no problems whatsoever. I needed to refinish the outdrives but thats it. A survey is key! Good luck

While a trailered outboard or an I/O might be a better bet I would say if its an inboard and has been slipped for ANY length of time JUST SAY NO! I owned an inboard that had been slipped "ocassionally" in salt water and the problems were never ending. Sometimes minor electrical stuff sometimes major things like oil coolers, transmission, motor mount bolts, etc. BTW....even minor electrical "issues" turn into big deals when the end result is fire. :o